Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bugged dwarf. Starving dwarf. Thirsty dwarf.  (Read 408 times)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bugged dwarf. Starving dwarf. Thirsty dwarf.
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »

I got a dwarf that just started to idle on the jeweler workshop. Then he became hungry. He did nothing. I checked him, and 'no job'. Then, he became thirsty. Did nothing too. I checked him again... 'no job'. Now him started to starve. 'No job' is now 'Hunt for small creature' but even with that job him just idle in the place and dont do nothing. There is a food stockpile near the dining hall, and all dwarves are eating as they should. Except for him. Him just idle. And do nothing.

Help? If someone needs screenshot I can take one.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bugged dwarf. Starving dwarf. Thirsty dwarf.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:30:44 pm »

Lemme guess. The only entrance to the chamber in which the jeweler's shop is located is on the east side of the place, and since the 3 squares on the east side of the jeweler's shop can't be walked through, the shop's "workbench" is blocking the only doorway. As such, he can't leave the room since he can't walk through the door since it's blocked by the workshop's impassible tiles, so he can't get to the dining hall, so he can't eat or drink.

In the future, when you're building a workshop, see how the footprint it shows you has some light-green squares and some dark-green squares, and realize that the dark-green squares can't be walked through once the workshop is built. As such, it's possible to block doorways with them; this is usually a problem with jeweler's and bowyer's workshops, which block one whole side of the 3x3 area.

No bug here most likely; just an inexperienced player who hasn't noticed another one of the less-intuitive parts of the game interface. We've all done it sometime  ;)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 01:32:26 pm »

Wow, I did not know that. So much for my 3x3 workshop designs. But atleast 5x5 allows for some small stockpiles around each workshop. :o
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:35:56 pm »

i do this very often. except i build the main stairs into my fortress wrong(lock em in) and they all starve and die to thirst in the first year.
it happened to me today

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:36:58 pm »

Wow, I did not know that. So much for my 3x3 workshop designs. But atleast 5x5 allows for some small stockpiles around each workshop. :o
3x3 workshop chambers are fine, you just have to either make sure that there's more than one entrance to each one or pay attention to where the impassible tiles on a workshop are so you don't block the only entrance. It just means that jeweler's shops don't go on the westernmost end of your fortress, and bowyer's shops don't go on the easternmost end.

Anyway, I realize that I didn't actually suggest a fix for the OP's issue, though they are fairly obvious. Either dig out another door to the chamber, or have the dwarf deconstruct the jeweler's shop. The latter probably won't work anymore, though, as he's busy hunting vermin in a place where there aren't any.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!