Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question  (Read 531 times)

masonmason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:01:37 pm »

I have a huge excess of stone and its worthless to trade what can I do with it

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:04:20 pm »

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

masonmason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:08:23 pm »

LOL nice TY

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:24:31 pm »

Train up an army of legendary siege operators on catapults.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:24:23 pm »

Build stone floors on the paths underground
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:25:33 pm »

I make a 1x1 tile garbage zone (press "i" to make a zone) on each level, near the central stairs or ramp spiral.  If I have a temporary hauler excess, I use mass-designate (d-b-d) to dump excess stone from a few rooms.

Another possibility is to use "profile" on your mason's workshop to assure that only your mason is building stuff in the workshop, and make all of your haulers masons as well.  If you do this, you can build enormous structures out of stone very quickly, using up the stone in the process.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:27:59 pm »

Train legendary stonecrafters, masons, and mechanics.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:23:27 am »

I just have my masons turn them into blocks constantly, for the massive tower I'm making. Blocks > rough stone.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:09:47 am »

Stone mugs. Just as worthless, but traders will take buckets of them and give you things you actually want, such as barrels, food, drink, wood, metal, and cloth/thread. For an added laugh, get a green glass industry going, and encrust your rock mugs with green glass. As I've seen it described, you're then trading "worthless stone cups with bits of broken beer bottles glued to them." Plus it trains your jewelers.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:20:55 am »

Remember that you can also hide the stones with d-b-h abd don't have to worry about them cosmetically. I prefer my fortresses to at least look clean. ;)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 05:47:40 am »

Set up Catapults dropping stones into a channel. No further input necessary. Having legendary siege operators is a plus.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.