Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: caged prisoner  (Read 1028 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caged prisoner
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »

First of all, concerning the stripping of the goblins, are your dwarves idling, and do they have refuse hauling enabled? Both should be yes before they come to strip the gobbos. Also, you need to designate a garbage dump zone, using (i) to mark the zone and (g) to set it as a garbage dump.

Second, to pit a creature go to your pit zone, the press (P) to access the pit/pond preferences. There you can assign creatures to the pit; search for the goblin names (they'll stand out) and assign them. Your dwarves will come to throw them in shortly after. Be careful of pitting thieves, however, as they very often escape the clutches of your dwarves and make a break for it, possibly injuring someone in the process.

i have a garbage zone, however i don't want them to toss it there since i have had one since the start of the fortress and  it is the side of a mountain that has hundreds of pieces in it and it would suck to rummage through it looking for the pieces i want to reclaim.  if i pit them, will the fall knock them out?  or can i do it one at a time causing my warriors to easily destroy them?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 05:38:05 pm »

First of all, concerning the stripping of the goblins, are your dwarves idling, and do they have refuse hauling enabled? Both should be yes before they come to strip the gobbos. Also, you need to designate a garbage dump zone, using (i) to mark the zone and (g) to set it as a garbage dump.

Second, to pit a creature go to your pit zone, the press (P) to access the pit/pond preferences. There you can assign creatures to the pit; search for the goblin names (they'll stand out) and assign them. Your dwarves will come to throw them in shortly after. Be careful of pitting thieves, however, as they very often escape the clutches of your dwarves and make a break for it, possibly injuring someone in the process.

i have a garbage zone, however i don't want them to toss it there since i have had one since the start of the fortress and  it is the side of a mountain that has hundreds of pieces in it and it would suck to rummage through it looking for the pieces i want to reclaim.  if i pit them, will the fall knock them out?  or can i do it one at a time causing my warriors to easily destroy them?

No, not a refuse stockpile, you want an actual garbage dump zone (make a pit somewhere, then make a zone with 'i' and select garbage dump).  This is where dwarves drop anything you've marked for dumping (rather than general refuse items).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 05:43:54 pm »

i know, and everyhting i've had dumped has gone off the side of the mountain, into one single space, most of it is rock but lots of other stuff too, is there any other way other than dumping?

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 06:15:26 pm »

i know, and everyhting i've had dumped has gone off the side of the mountain, into one single space, most of it is rock but lots of other stuff too, is there any other way other than dumping?
You can make blocks (which fit into bins, but can't be used for all of the same things), dump the stone (a 1x1 space, out of sight, out of mind, can be managed from the stocks screen), hide the stone from sight (it's still there, but hidden from your view), atom smash it out of existence with a drawbridge (it is removed permanently from the game).

I think that's everything, except magma, of course.

I prefer to just ignore the clutter while otherwise useless dwarves make blocks on repeat to train an army of highly skilled masons. The blocks go in bins and out of sight, and are later used to build outlying fortifications, workshops, and machines. This increases fortress wealth, which I counteract by using dumps early on (smallest space, allows me to place the destination) and subsequently reclaim (and use as block material) for training later. Putting masons/mechanics/stonecrafter workshops near the bottom of the shaft I drop the stone down was a convenient way to make dumping work much better for me. Then there's no wasted effort, as dumped stone isn't being tossed into a useless out-of-the-way spot, but right where it's going to get used later.

Rather than reclaiming with the d-b-c method, using the stocks screen can keep you from accidentally reclaiming corpses and body parts you're dumping. (I also use this method for bones and skulls, and it's convenient for items to be melted down, as well.)
Pages: 1 [2]