Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital help  (Read 913 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospital help
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »

I need some help with my hospital.

i have the zone designated for hospital with a few beds and a traction table (just one at the moment) right next to one of the beds.  what else do i need to do to make it a hospital?

how do my dwarves get diagnosed?  how are treatments done?  i have my fortress near a goblin village and get lots of ambushes so i need a functioning hospital.

thanks

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital help
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:30 pm »

Read the healthcare article on magmawiki it covers pretty much everything. Dwarves are diagnosed by anyone with the diagnosis labor enabled. And then (hopefully) treated by dwarves who have the respecting doctor labors enabled. Splints and casts do the same thing, casts however have an annoying bug you'd have to work around so i suggest to not make any plaster powder and use splints exclusively instead.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:23 pm »

Add coffers to it, least to store all your soap. The coffers in hospitals will reserve items assigned to it, for emergencys, and near future. Your Docs will still take items needed from other stockpiles, thread, cloth, splints, but armok forbid if you have soap stored in the hospital, and a bar stockpile. They get confused.
 Add a surgery table too your hospital, and a supply of fresh water nearby(hopefully a well)
 For a bonus, on embark, take some lye. Since soap never seems to degrade, once your render some fat from a butchered animal, assign someone the soap makers skill,make a few bars, then store in the hospital. The small supply of soap should last you the life of the fortress
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:10:20 am »

one thing the wiki won't clarify about healthcare is the diference betwen plaster powder and splints

Gypsum plaster powder is(...) an item used by doctors to immobilize the broken bones of injured dwarves.
Splints are used at the Hospital to bind broken limbs.
Casts are made out of plaster powder and are used to keep broken bones in their proper place until healed.

there is no mention about splints on the healthcare page... so i always wondered if they are just temporary measures or they actualy get the job done...

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:53:29 am »

With the problems with casts, splints are the next best option. You cannot store plaster, in hospitals. It can be used from stockpiles. You need to make sure a filled bucket of water, is reachable. Have them try to fill a pond, then cancel the labor, when they fill it. It least can be used now to make 10 casts
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration