Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this game breaking?  (Read 413 times)

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this game breaking?
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:41:29 pm »

am i being a bastard or is it realy needed after say, 5-7 years? never survived that far, i've even took that river for myself, it goes underground.

one thing im curious about is that if the river is still pressurized it will flow very fast, but possibly flood my fortress, if i depresurize it it not only will be realy ugly but also flow VERY VERY slowly, possibly getting some shrooms on it before it gets 7/7...

if i were to put the "unpressurizer" close to the map boarder where i drain the water with the carved fortifications, will my fort flood? i don't want to have a single floor river however, i was thinking of something like this:

X = wall
R = river
W = waterfall
F = fortification
H = hole
                         XXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXHXXXXXXXXX
WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRF
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXHXXXXXXXXX
                         XXX

and on the lower floor somethings like dinning halls with waterfalls or something...

edit: dang pressed something that made me post before finishing...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:44:45 pm by Guedez »

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game breaking?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:24:10 pm »

It could be because I'm looking at this on an iPhone (small screen is small!), but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Is this game breaking?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:35:24 pm »

if i were to put the "unpressurizer" close to the map boarder where i drain the water with the carved fortifications, will my fort flood?

Water creates "pressure" whenever it falls on top of other water.  It does this by finding a straight-line path through other water tiles.  This is why you can use + formation walls with hollow centers to block these straight paths and "remove" the pressure wherever you have water falling down one or more z-levels.

You're not the first person to put a giant moat around the map, though.  You still have to worry about fliers, migrants and merchants, but that's doable.  And, these days, you have to watch out for threats from below:  the caverns and HFS.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.