Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military duty vs. the day job  (Read 365 times)

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military duty vs. the day job
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:18:30 am »

So my military is divided into two basic groups. The frontline troops get the best armour and weapons and stay in training when not needed for combat. The Fortress Guard and a couple of similar squads are intended to keep dwarves occupied (and enforce justice in the case of the Guard) and clothed. They get to play around in the barracks and prance around in leather armour but their training schedule is mostly 'no scheduled order' and a lot of the time they're off duty.

In the latter group was a legendary armoursmith. I had one of my forges set to be used by only the most highly skilled smiths and would use that to produce new weapons and armour while the less gifted churned out chains and etc. on another forge. This seemed to work OK but recently I found work orders for armour weren't being fulfilled. It seemed that armoursmith, the only one currently meeting the skill criteria, was spending his time on combat drill and ignoring the work orders even though his squad was off duty. I let it ride for a few game days but he didn't pick up the job even after he went on break, just went back to combat drill. Only by dropping him from the squad was I able to get the jobs done. Any way to get dwarves to go do their day jobs when there's work to be done and only go drill when they'd otherwise be idle?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Military duty vs. the day job
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:41:45 am »

Yea. Never designate a barracks, and never give them any schedule.
Train them up in a danger room, and/or with goblin prisoners.

That way, they are only on duty when you tell them to, with a (s)quad >> (m)ove order, and back to civilian duties immediatly with the (s)quad >> clear (o)rders.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military duty vs. the day job
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:14:19 am »

Yea. Never designate a barracks, and never give them any schedule.

Doh! Missed the obvious solution you've just highlighted, if I'd thought to temporarily undesignate the barracks used by the smith's squad that would have done the trick just as well. Cheers.