Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: natural magma pressure  (Read 749 times)

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
natural magma pressure
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:30:57 pm »

this is contradictory to just about anything iv'e heard other than with a screw pump, but in my current fortress my smithy is built between, and at the bottom of two magma pools about 25 z levels tall, its also just above the magma sea and i channeled a hole into the sea for a magma forge to be built

i guess my blacksmith took too long to build it, i got an announcement saying he couldn't build because of unsafe terrain

i looked and found the tiles around the hole covered with 1/7 lava... there weren't even any magma creatures around

is it a bug? or does this happen to other ppl?

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: natural magma pressure
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:22:02 am »

Further information is required before we can really come to any conclusions.  Do you see anywhere with lowered magma levels that the magma may've come from?  Have you seen the magma coming in, or only magma that has already?  Can you reproduce it, and if so, could you get a video of it?  Does it occur anywhere along the 25z pools, or only when directly above the magma sea?  Which version are you using?

I'm more skeptical of the current understanding of how the magma sea behaves than I am of the current understanding of how pressure behaves.  Some water sources have been known to exert a form of "pressure" in placing new tiles, and I seem to recall some reports near 0.31.x's initial release involving magma seeming to flow "up" from the magma sea (along with others that magma didn't respawn at all).

I've seen a lot of anecdotes about strange fluid behaviors, but rarely anything outside the "standard model" that people can reproduce, analyze, and explain.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:31:11 am »

Is there some way the magma teleported?

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:56:40 am »

Have you gotten a cave-in that you did not cause? Might have been a natural magma piston that forced the magma up there.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:40:14 am »

I had this once in a stairwell that I made to the magma sea, it slowly filled. 

I put it down to the fact that the place the stairwell peircing the sea was several z levels below the highest point the sea reached (if that made sense) the magma stopped filling the stairs at some point, but I never checked where.  I assume it was at the top of the magma sea...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"