Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast using equipment?!  (Read 4764 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast using equipment?!
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 03:23:41 pm »

I had a titan rip the coat off one of my dwarves and then kill, like, 20 people with it. I was hoping that kills would increase the value of the item, but I guess not.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 05:18:23 pm »

Wrestling in adventure mode gets pretty nuts. I once ripped a guy's armor and weapon off him, slipped on the armor, and killed him with the weapon, all before he could act.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 07:30:32 pm »

Sasquatch got hold of a silver mace. It was horrible.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 01:48:37 am »

I had a titan rip the coat off one of my dwarves and then kill, like, 20 people with it. I was hoping that kills would increase the value of the item, but I guess not.

THIS is why I love Bay 12. "Sir the fell beast is now strangling our brethren with Urist McChokingvictim's coat!"
"Deactivate the magma traps!"
"WHY?!"
"Think how much that coat is worth now!"

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 11:22:42 am »

Yeah, I had a then unkillable Bronze Collossus rip off a leather cloak and use it as weapon too. Only that the thing was sompletely useless as weapon, but it didn`t hinder him slapping my poor militia captain over and over with it until everything on him was bruised. At least this left me way enough time to wall them in and the militia captain eventually died of thirst while still getting slapped by the collossus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y

I'll just leave it here

I just realized that now that you can find ladles in Night Creature lairs, you can actually do this yourself.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 04:18:48 pm »

Minotaur - punched brain out of bowyer.

Aquired sock.

Wafted it at military while getting axes to the face.

This is a blank sig.

Aussiemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Well... now what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 06:53:30 pm »

My hill titan made of coral managed to get a wooden toy boat from a caravan and hold on to it when I trapped him in a pit I made. Now he's killed seven or so goblins with it.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 08:37:36 am »

I can't wait for better AI. Or item degradation. Or both.

Better be both, really. Your precious(?) wooden crossbow after few (if you are unlucky - one is enough) hit should be unusable (as shooting weapon), after few more beyond repair (in this stage, everything should be counted as miscellaonus object for fight purposes), and after again few hits completely destroyed. And you do not want that in mix with retarded stupidity like hitting with crossbow instead of shooting with it.

AI just should assess how to use weapon best based on weapon raws and current situation. For example, marksdwarves should swith to secondary weapon (in worst case his fists) after running out of ammo or when enemy is next to him. Or just run away.

Cases when Urist McMarksdwarf uses crossbow to hit people should be exceptional - like totally cornered, with low wrestling skills and high miscelanous object user (yes, no more "hammer" skill for crossbow), that it in eyes of AI overweight fast breaking written in raws. Because, you know, if you are in mortal danger and you can damage more with applying crossbow to head instead of fists, you will do it. And in this situation you do not care that you are breaking crossbow.

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »

seen a sock used. scary stuff...

I saw a Bronze Colossus using a sock once. I'm unsure if it was because of the sock, but he couldn't kill my dwarves. He'd just punch them with the sock until they were knocked out, and then he spent ages punching them and never doing any damage.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 10:28:38 pm »

Madcoil, I do not think the desperate marksdwarf, would use the bow part of the crossbow if in dire straits. Would prolly switch ends, and use its butt, to club his/her assailant. Which brings to mind, when will the evil Toady have wood, part of the ingredients, for making a metal crossbow, i.e. obsidian swords.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 07:32:57 am »

How do you deal with forgotten beast dust?

I assume that's why most of my victorious military suddenly lost all their skin and bled to death. Also, have a fort with a lot of rotting going on now, I assume a forgotten beast that's been long dead and forgotten is the source.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 08:05:19 am »

How do you deal with forgotten beast dust?

I assume that's why most of my victorious military suddenly lost all their skin and bled to death. Also, have a fort with a lot of rotting going on now, I assume a forgotten beast that's been long dead and forgotten is the source.
Honestly, the best way to kill the damn thing is using cave-ins, or shooting it from a safe distance, which can be done with a few sacrificial lambs (lots of chained animals or meatshield squads) that will hinder the monster's progression, or fortifications. My favourite strategy was making a small labyrinth, closed from the above to prevent flying creatures to move over the walls, and putting doors at regular intervals so that the beast loses a lot of time destroying each door, while the marksdwarfs turn it into a pincushion. That kind of "trap" is also usually faster to "reload", provided you have a large sock of doors. Very few attacks can reach marksdwarfs at the max distance.
As for dealing with them post mortem... guh. Can be considered cheating by some, but DFhack's tool dfclean is your best friend. Otherwise, look for the infected tiles, restrict traffic through these, build tiles or walls above them and deconstruct them if necessary (that should be enough to rid them from deadly dust), destroy the carved parts and rebuild them if it's also necessary, test the actual syndrome by sending a guinea pig or two through it (if it is something that simply rots one's eyes off or gives a short fever, it's not dangerous), or, well, wash with magma. Careful with water, too, while it washes mess off infectees, it spreads said mess further.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 10:07:46 am »

If it is something that simply rots one's eyes off... it's not dangerous.
I love Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 2 [3]