Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Figuring out squaring resolutions for tilesets...  (Read 651 times)

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Figuring out squaring resolutions for tilesets...
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:28:00 pm »

Hey guys. My monitor runs in a native 1280x1024, and I'm having trouble finding a windowed mode and tileset that properly square off without making a tiny window.

I downloaded a 960x300 one and while it's quite nice, it's only square at that exact resolution and 300 pixels is a rather narrow window. I'm trying to make/adjust a tileset that will show up square at a resolution around (but not necessarily at) 1024x768, which is generally the ideal window size for programs I run.

Anyone know the window resolution (and subsequently, the proper tileset dimensions) to get this working? I don't care how the tileset looks; I probably will just turn the standard curses sets into new orientations if that will work. I'd just like to know for my own interest how to properly finagle square tiles.

Sord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Figuring out squaring resolutions for tilesets...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 07:47:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress always displays 80 tiles across and 25 tiles vertically. So to have a perfectly square tileset, you want the window size to be height = width * 25/80. So for example, 1024x320 would have square tiles, or 1280x400 for a slightly bigger window.

Does that still end up looking like a tiny window? Yes. Can't be fixed (at least not by us).

For the tileset resolution, you can really pick anything, but if you want to prevent any scaling from happening, use (width/80) x (height/25). If they don't come out as integers, you might wish to change the window resolution so that they do. For example, 1024/80 = 12.8, while 960/80=12 (leading you to the 960x300 window).

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 11:28:00 pm »

So can I take the custom 960x300 tileset and make it larger, just by adjusting the init file? Even tho the tileset is already square?

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 12:16:00 pm »

Due to the way that the game displays a fixed number of tiles, you cannot have a square tile without having a squished window.

The game window is 25 tiles high, and 80 tiles wide - no matter what shape the tiles are.

Take a piece of graph paper, and mark out a section using those dimensions, and you will see why the window is always squished.

[ November 01, 2006: Message edited by: Draxxalon ]

Sord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>So can I take the custom 960x300 tileset and make it larger, just by adjusting the init file?</STRONG>

Yes. The tileset resolution and the display resolution are completely independant. The game will scale the tiles to fit your window.

[ November 02, 2006: Message edited by: Sord ]