Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: overkill  (Read 1003 times)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
overkill
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:59:40 pm »

i killed a bunch of animals on my map and now they aren't spawning. is it possible to hunt stuff to extinction?
LOSING IS FUN!

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: overkill
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:01:06 pm »

Yup. Works below ground, too.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:01:36 pm »

It takes time for new ones to come. If they don't come up in a long while, then you might have killed all of them.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:34:05 pm »

I've extincted the local fish population. Don't know about the second and third layers, but the surface river and first layer pool are both entirely devoid of fish... even though my fisherdwarves all hang out down there still trying to catch things. Don't know what they think they're doing.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 04:40:21 pm »

Yeah, my fishers cleared the brook from all life quickly. Kind of sad, I have a bunch of fisherdwarves that don't have anything to do unless I turn them into soldiers.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 06:27:44 pm »

on a related topic, when I kill a goblin on anm ambush or siege, is that goblin generated for that event, or is he from a dark fortress somewhere? I mean, could I make goblins extint if I fend to much sieges ?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »

In one of my forts, I beat the goblins back for five years, and then they just stopped coming. So I think it's possible to kill off all the local goblins.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 06:47:27 pm »

Ive known their leaders to charge headlong into spike trap but siege goblins are (or at least they used to be in 40d) randomly spawned.
Check legends, you should see a bunch of Goblins of "unknown parentage" in the historical figures.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 06:53:19 pm »

they are, but i think it drains the local population number, like the historical figures you see down on the bottom, it's something like every 10 you kill, 1 dies.  and it takes a really long time.  I've definitely eradicated the goblins before.
Nom nom nom