Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can non-dwarfs learn skills?  (Read 773 times)

MadBoat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can non-dwarfs learn skills?
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:16:43 pm »

I'm building a dwarf-lantis, using a magma crane and an existing large lake. Of course, it has to be totally underwater (although I will not insist that the walls be glass, I don't like pumps that much). That would usually mean that there can be no interaction with the outside world, but I'm feeling creative today.

So I can already picture how to get things and people into my fortress (position cargo in suicide chute-style room, flood airlock room below them, drop, and dry airlock). Getting stuff out is probably impossible, and I don't care much (just dump it in magma). I would normally say that getting people and animals (caravans) out (alive) is impossible too, but... suppose the new arrivals were good swimmers? You could just throw them in the airlock and open it, and they would swim to the surface and then to shore and then to safety.

"But they're not good swimmers, you idiot" I hear you saying. And that's true. They would have to be trained to be good swimmers while in the fortress. Is that possible? I don't know, but it might be... if the entire fortress was flooded to 4/7th depth. Any dwarf moving around in my fortress would constantly be training the swimming skill... but what about foreign envoys? mechants? their pack animals?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Can non-dwarfs learn skills?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:28:12 pm »

Any creature can learn skills if they practice it, as long as they have the [CAN_LEARN] tag. This is shown by goblins getting attacked by wooden training spear traps eventually become weapon masters, or goblin crossbowmen become hammergobs after extended melee fighting.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »

Well, the hippie Cacame killed a dragon when he was a competent hammer user, and he is an elf and ruler of a dwarf kingdom.

yeh they can
:3

MadBoat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:59:31 pm »

hmm... would that actually work for my intended purpose?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:08:13 pm by MadBoat »

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:07:57 pm »

Yeah, because one of the problems in 40D was that carp were so powerful because they were swimming all the time and therefore gaining physical strength.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:33:48 pm »

Yeah, because one of the problems in 40D was that carp were so powerful because they were swimming all the time and therefore gaining physical strength.

Er, that bug was fixed in version 0.27.169.33b, long before the 0.28.181.40d you're familiar with.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 06:51:30 pm »

I believe all the sentient races can learn, and merchants don't care much about their animals anyway.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 07:53:22 pm »

Caravans can leave through the caverns if the cavern is open to the edge of the map.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »

As far as I've seen large animals can swim without much issue. I've seen a small group of horses fall into a just-thawed major river, swim over to my bridges that are over it, climb out and go "BOO!" at my dwarves.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."