Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A small nooby question  (Read 498 times)

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
A small nooby question
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:48:29 am »

Just a small question , i never figured out how to
How do I give a dwarf a item , like a pick to miner , i wanted to give him a better metal pick , but i don't know how
Any steps to do so?

Never mind , i just disabled his labor and reenabled it , worked like a charm
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:54:13 am by Qinetix »
Desu

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A small nooby question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:17:31 am »

I believe you can also forbid their existing tool so that they'll drop it, but what you did works just fine.

Your dwarves automaticly try to pick up what they believe is the best quality tools/weapons/armor available.  The trick is in getting them to put down the items they already have.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:16:58 am »

Soldiers will upgrade equipment automatically. Miners and woodcutters won't - the quality of their tools doesn't affect their work.

It doesn't matter whether a miner has an iron or steel pick - he'll mine at the same rate.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:31:08 am »

melt all inferior picks and he'd grab the best one
Alternatively, put him into military with the best pick then when he has equipped it, remove him from military while assigning him mining as labor. He'd use the pick in possession.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:02:44 pm »

some of my soldiers are refusing to change their iron axes and iron shields for the new steel ones I made. Is that exclusively because of the attachment things? or there can be other reasons? In their equip screen I even specified to them that their axes and shield must be made of steel!