Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Behavior Regarding Items Blocking Building Site  (Read 528 times)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
Strange Behavior Regarding Items Blocking Building Site
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:27:16 am »

Ok, not sure if anyone else has this same issue, but back in 31.12 dwarves would automatically move stones/items blocking the building site of a door/workshop/something. Now, in 31.18, this convenient behavior seems to have all but disappeared. Instead a message with the effect of

"Urist McHauler cancels the building of ________, the site is blocked. The dwarves have canceled the building of ________."

appears. Can anyone explain this or offer a fix?

Much appreciated.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Strange Behavior Regarding Items Blocking Building Site
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:33:24 am »

Mass dumping with d --> b --> d
You can later on reclaim the items with mass reclaiming d --> b
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:34:26 am »

If the item which needs to be moved has been claimed for use by another project, nobody will touch it except to bring it to that other construction site.

This has happened to me when building a stone wall through a pile of stone.  The stone on site #5 was designated as the building material for site #1, but since construction had begun at the other end, the dwarves attempted to build wall #5 before wall #1 and were unable to do so because wall #1's stone was blocking the way.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:36:04 am »

I've found it's usually pets getting in the way.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 03:45:05 am »

dwarves seem to not voluntarily move items blocking the site of floor constructions accessible only by the diagonal.  Otherwise they'll move stuff just fine.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:46:05 am »

If the item which needs to be moved has been claimed for use by another project, nobody will touch it except to bring it to that other construction site.

This is the most probable cause.

Something similar will also happen if the object blocking the tile can only be moved to another tile(s) which is also a construction site.
Say you have a narrow dead end 2 tiles deep and you are building 2 walls to "fill it up".  If there is an object at the end of the dead end (vermin remains, anyone?), dwarves will never move it, because the only walkable adjacent tile is the wall under construction #2. The only way to break the deadlock then is to cancel wall#2 (suspend won't work, because it won't remove the "under construction" on that tile.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 04:10:09 am »

Thank you, everyone.

The cause was that I queued up about 100 stones for floors. As soon as I canceled that project everything was fine.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder