Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help with tapping a magma pipe  (Read 571 times)

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help with tapping a magma pipe
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:04:21 pm »

I have a pretty cool site with a river next to a magma pipe. I want to have them both on the same z-level, but the top of the pipe is several levels above the river. How do I tap into the side of the pipe without flooding my whole settlement? Well, the whole map. really.

I didn't see this under 'magma' in the wiki, I am sure this is an amateurish question.

ps, Channeling up to the pipe and piercing it to 'drain' the pipe sure as hell didn't work. All it did was cook up 7 dwarfichangas.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
Re: help with tapping a magma pipe
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »

Floodgates

Or , you could go up another z-level and mine out the wall

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 03:43:05 pm »

Read the pressure page on the wiki. If you make the connection to the pipe with a channel the miner will usually be able to escape safely, as the magma will first fill the channeled out tile and then the spot above (channeling a wall from the side removes both the wall and the spot below). Put a floodgate linked to a lever in the corridor so you can switch off the magma on demand (floodgate and mechanism in gate magmasafe).

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 03:49:59 pm »

Magma doesn't pressurize, so you can just dig out a corridor from the river's z-level

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 03:51:39 pm »

Oh yeah! I forgot floodgates. I have been farming by tap-draining murky pools so long that I plumb forgot about them!