Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Safe Cage Procedures?  (Read 506 times)

dgnslyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Safe Cage Procedures?
« on: January 02, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »

Well, I've got a load of goblins in cages. What exactly is considered "safe" and "unsafe" to do with caged invaders? Can I lead them to a pit safely? What else might make them cause some Fun?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Safe Cage Procedures?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:19:22 pm »

Well first off, actually build the cages for any thieves; otherwise they'll go rogue the moment you let them out and probably injure a few Dwarves.  Second, you should strip them of their equipment so you don't lose out on any of it (especially if you plan to pit them into magma).  To do this, load them into a built cage (or build their cage), pause once they're in there, go to the B->D menu, designate the entire tile for dumping, then hit t and un-designate the cage itself for dumping.  Once they're in a built cage, you can safely toss them down the nearest convenient pit.
Sanity is for the weak.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:19:46 pm »

Skyrender has it right. I prefer linking the cage to a lever and then sealing the room with the combatants inside though. Leading enemies to a pit isnt always safe.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:20 pm »

I take a somewhat more risky approach of building my pit right next to my animal storage area, and then stationing a squad near the pit while I'm pitting goblins. Sometimes they break free, and are immediately killed by the squad, but usually they get pitted, and a pile of goblinite forms at the bottom of the pit.