Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: non-volcano embarks  (Read 3818 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: non-volcano embarks
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »

It's  shame, back in 40d I had a world saved that had a volcano right on the border of a layer of limestone. So cash...

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »

I never bothered with Volcanoes with the fact that I never seem to have Flux stone in it's layers. Unless you find a biome that crosses and you do some mumbo-jumbo multi-biome different layers.
BAH! Too much science.
I almost always find some patches of marble near the volcano shaft.
Only problem then is to find Iron Ore to make Steel.
Since iron doesn't form at the Metamorphic layer (Marble, etc)
Hematite can appear in Igneous layers, which area a given around volcanoes. Gold is also fairly common in Igneous rock. The real problem is the refined coal, as it's rare to get the sediment layers needed to find Bituminous Coal and Lignite, meaning you're limited to burning wood (which may or may not be common based on the specific location).
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 03:59:33 am »

There are settings in the perfectworld tool to get volcanoes and flux.

If you want no volcano, just dig out like 5 entire Z levels and turn them all into tree farms.
If you do it right you can even just use one set of water.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 06:02:28 am »

I never bothered with Volcanoes with the fact that I never seem to have Flux stone in it's layers. Unless you find a biome that crosses and you do some mumbo-jumbo multi-biome different layers.
BAH! Too much science.
Hematite can appear in Igneous layers, which area a given around volcanoes. Gold is also fairly common in Igneous rock. The real problem is the refined coal, as it's rare to get the sediment layers needed to find Bituminous Coal and Lignite, meaning you're limited to burning wood (which may or may not be common based on the specific location).

maybe my question is a bit offtopic, but i'm wondering why should one need any steel at all. I mean, it is easy to dig to magma, and where magma is, you can easily find adamantine. steel makes much worse armor and edged weapons than it, and for blunt weapons one would certainly prefer silver. That is, steel is actually not worth the effort it takes to produce.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 09:31:57 am »

BAH! Too much science.
So you need both a Metamorphic layer and an Igneous layer at a Volcano? Isn't this sort of hard to find on a 'normal', non-fiddled world?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 11:53:23 am »

Igneous layers are a given at volcanoes, I've yet to see a volcano without at least 4 layers of igneous rock listed. You're aware of what igneous rock is right? It's solidified magma

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 08:03:00 pm »

Igneous layers are a given at volcanoes, I've yet to see a volcano without at least 4 layers of igneous rock listed. You're aware of what igneous rock is right? It's solidified magma
Right. What are you trying to explain?
Like I said, you need Metamorphic at the same embark as Igneous. With the scarcity of Volcanoes, this could be tough, could it not?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 08:39:14 pm »

Are you serious? I've gotten a few thousand charcoal easily and had no problem mining it, refining it and storing it.

EDIT: Erm, not charcoal. Coke.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:41:04 pm by Jacob/Lee »

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 10:03:03 pm »

Right. What are you trying to explain?
Like I said, you need Metamorphic at the same embark as Igneous. With the scarcity of Volcanoes, this could be tough, could it not?
So you need both a Metamorphic layer and an Igneous layer at a Volcano? Isn't this sort of hard to find on a 'normal', non-fiddled world?

That's what I was responding to, your apparent confusion in thinking that igneous rock is hard to find at a volcano. On a non-volcanic embark, it is much less likely that you'd have igneous layers and much more likely that you'd have sediment layers, making the point moot.

In case the confusion was over Metamorphic layers, those are everywhere, metamorphic layers are the ones that are deep into the earth, even if the embark location didn't list marble as one of its layers, you have a good chance of finding some if you dig deep enough.

I think a real challenge would be to make a workable base at a location that is volcanic enough to have igneous rock instead of sedimentary rock, but doesn't actually have a volcano. Much harder to get fuel in this case.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 10:11:50 pm by twilightdusk »
Pages: 1 2 [3]