Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I assign a baron?  (Read 746 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Should I assign a baron?
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:41:13 am »

So this Liason came into my fort, and said that he wants to link up our fort with the homeland. He was looking for someone to be recommended as a baron or something like that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, should i abort this, if yes, why?
If not, who should I select? someone rather useless, or someone very useful?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I assign a baron?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 04:43:09 am »

baron has no use apart from making ridiculous mandates, demanding silly thing and getting your dwarves beaten for not making that bat tooth sceptre for him.
with DM broken and economy disabled it is complete and utter uselessness.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:51:11 am »

Abort it is, then.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:58:27 am »

You can't get the king without getting a baron first, from my understanding. So if you abort you'll never be a mountainhome. Select a useless dwarf who doesn't have bad social treats, and only likes common items (like iron, donkeys, etc). Build some nice rooms big enough to hold all the furniture he'll need and build him a pump in his mausoleum he'll manually operate so he doesn't wander off and gets jealous at the commoners royal bedrooms.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:24:54 am »

i like my countess.  She has a preference for clear glass, bronze, and buckets.  Pretty easy stuff, and she still hauls stuff and makes glass.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 09:32:13 am »

I already canceled it, can I get a baron anymore?
I think that the liason came with the dwarven caravan, does he ask the same question next year?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:27:40 am »

He'll ask the same question next year, and the year after that, etc. until you finally accept it. Somewhat annoyingly, when you refuse to assign a baron, the liaison will also forget to talk about trade agreements, so you won't be able to request items anymore until you accept the offer and assign a baron.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 07:07:17 pm »

Alright, thanks for info. I'll look forward into having a king arrive for my first time.
That is, if the fort will survive.