Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Artifact That Never Was...  (Read 2239 times)

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Artifact That Never Was...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 02:37:35 pm »

The thing about removing organs is that it is difficult to do so without causing further damage.

IIRC though, I did have a dwarf with an extensively damaged (Nonfunctional) lung, who basically carried on as normal aftera bit of rest.

As well as the one who was melting because of FB spit or blood or something, and a legendary team of medical dwarfs turned him into a mummy. He was basically a skeleton wrapped in cloth at that point, so I'm almost entirely sure that under the right circumstances, you can remove all flesh, skin and sensory organs without killing the dwarf.

This means that the only things that are really essential are the heart, brain, and a single lung, as well as the parts which accompany them, head, neck, upper and lower body.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 04:45:42 pm »

Yep, the only reliable way to remove/disable organs in my humble opinion are syndromes, and we all know how much these things can be relied on.
So, we can strip a dwarf to little more than a beard. I like that idea.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »

On lungs I know that a dwarf can live with one lung however he will be ineffective in combat because he will keep passing out. So it's probably wise to remove them from your army. Fat layers do in fact block some attacks however they also slow down your dwarfs down.

Skin also offer a lot of protecion so you might want to keep them aswell. In general it's a good idea to let your dwarfs keep most organs as this will allow your dwarfs to get hit without damaging something important.

If the stomach is hurt your dwarf will start to vomit this may cause dehydration and the usual problems with vomit.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 05:29:17 pm »

[Lastly, many of us heard about the strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Benjamin Button  the soldier who became an absolute monster because a FB disease rotted his skin and sensory nerves away, and he met a competent surgeon (I told you they existed!) who managed to remove all the skin in time. He went back to duty and became immune to pain. Therefore, we can suppose that in the right circumstances, a dwarf can also live without their skin (and possibly sensory nerves too).quote]

Where can I find this post?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 05:50:28 pm »

[Lastly, many of us heard about the strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Benjamin Button  the soldier who became an absolute monster because a FB disease rotted his skin and sensory nerves away, and he met a competent surgeon (I told you they existed!) who managed to remove all the skin in time. He went back to duty and became immune to pain. Therefore, we can suppose that in the right circumstances, a dwarf can also live without their skin (and possibly sensory nerves too).

Where can I find this post?
For some reason, I'm having difficulties finding that specific post. Crap.  >:(
However, fortunately, I found a similar report by another player (who doesn't, however, mention anything about the ability to feel pain): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63791.msg1585045;topicseen#msg1585045
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 12:52:23 am »

So... Failed mood to torturing dwarves in less than two pages? Well done B12.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »

It's not torture if they can't feel the pain.
Pages: 1 [2]