Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing sites?  (Read 558 times)

Neoptolemus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Missing sites?
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »

Hi all,

I created a human adventurer, and after a run of luck I had slain a couple of dragons and a few titans for my starting civilisation, and I decided to boldly take my party deep underground with the aim of meeting some of the more unsavoury beasties below.

I couldn't find any caves locally, despite spamming "surroundings" with most of the locals, so I decided to try exploring the world and perhaps visiting the dwarves or elves. However, I can't find a single civilisation outside of the towns and hamlets I started in. The fast travel map says I'm standing near a mountain hall (nothing is marked on the map, but it says in the bottom left the name of the hall), so I zoom in and follow the "compass" to the nearest site. However, the "compass" says *** (as in I'm standing right on it) and yet I can't find an entrance anywhere, it's just terrain. This happened at around 5 different mountain halls in different regions.

Disappointed, I stumbled across a forest retreat on the fast travel map (this time the icon did actually show up on the map) and so I zoomed in again, and once again the compass said I was stood right in the retreat, but there were no elves. Nothing. Same happened with another forest retreat nearby.

As far as I can tell, the whole world is empty and deserted outside the civilisation I started in, despite the embark screen claiming there are active civilisations all over the place. I would try rerolling a dwarf to see if there is a problem, but I don't want to restart, I'd rather find out if my world gen is bugged or something. Asides from the occasional ambush by a tiger, there is nothing to do. I can even sleep in the middle of the wilderness without being attacked by anything.

Anyone else come across this problem?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Missing sites?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:00:00 pm »

There are no civs besides human right now. The sites are allocated for the dwarves, elves, goblins and what not, but Toady hasn't worked out how they will build their buildings, structure their politics, dig their forts, ect...

He could have just used the same stuff as for humans, but he wants them to be noticeably different in lots of ways. He moved on to other dev items before he got around to finishing them though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neoptolemus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:20:31 pm »

Oh, I must have missed that in the patch notes. That's a shame. I guess I'll just have to head back home and try to find a cave somewhere. Are there any particularly efficient ways of getting to the underground without aimlessly wandering around asking locals and hoping you stumble on a cave by chance?

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:41:12 am »

Make a path to the underground with a fortress first.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01