Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.18 and ambushes  (Read 813 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.18 and ambushes
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:09:19 am »

Is there some change to goblin ambushes in this version?

'Cos I've been ambushed OVER 40 TIMES in the first two years of my fortress!!! The little maggots have spent more time confined to a warren than not, and it's about to unravel as they are f$$^ing heading out to claim a dead dwarves used clothes DESPITE being confined to a warren AND the corpse in question being forbidden!

I'm a little disappointed as my legendary miner was chased by one ambush twice around the map, managing to choose the direction AWAY from the fortress at every opportunity.  He managed to cripple two of the chasers, and made it to the front bridge, when ANOTHER ambush (number 41) appeared in front of him and killed him.

I have not had time to actually build any more than basic defences, and I don't even have time to properly loot all the bodies between onslaughts.

Is this normal in some fortresses, or has this version really souped up the gobbos?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.18 and ambushes
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 12:14:02 am »

It really depends. You are probably really close to a goblin civilization. You can check the relative distances in the civ screen.

I've had forts that had only 2 ambushes over 4 years.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 12:32:54 am »

multiple ambushing groups can spawn at the same time, and detected individually. Each season only send at most 1 ambushing group so my good bet is that there's an upright spoiler in your fort and you are close to them, which entice gobbos to ambush early and in multiple squads

Btw, are you sure you are not mistaking snatchers/thieves with ambushes and not exaggerating numbers by a magnitude?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 12:44:31 am »

At that rate, he would get on average 3 ambushes every MONTH for the two years. That means his soldiers/traps are constantly working, and in theory he shouldn't be able to survive that since the traps couldn't be reloaded fast enough and he couldn't get a drowning/dropping trap rigged up in time.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:59:16 am by Jacob/Lee »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 01:24:47 am »

3 ambushes every MONTH
To be honest that's totally feasible. Every single save scum will make the ambushes spawn at different locations til your liking. If you have 8-12 trap-rigged entries into your fort and carefully manage those the probability of a single goblin squad getting through the perimeter is low.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 01:36:33 am »

I know it's feasible, but it just doesn't seem to be possible to make that many mechanisms/trap components or get a decent military set up by year 2.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 01:44:46 am »

I know it's feasible, but it just doesn't seem to be possible to make that many mechanisms/trap components or get a decent military set up by year 2.
Any coward smart overseer will begin their project to wall off the mines and a closable bridge up by autumn.  My first priority is walling off everything immediately, so if an ambush comes I can hide underground.  This only backfires if a nice dwarven trading caravan gets killed - no more traders for me...

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 02:26:02 am »

By first caravan any dedicated fort can already get a dry moat with about 20 chokes, each chokes having 9-10 cage traps.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 05:54:13 pm »

First workshop - carpenter, second equal is mason and mechanics, and I've usually got a wall of some type and a few cage traps before the first wave of migrants.  Possibly a little paranoid, but I get there.

And I'm not sure what constitutes an ambush or not - I'm just going by the "An Ambush! Curse Them" message that appears.  Often 3-4 'ambushes' at the same time.  As the ambush notice appears when I first notice them, I take it they are different 'squads' from the same assault?

I guess I'm just close to them... Stops boredom setting in, I guess.

Thanks for the answers.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.