Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corpses lining the streets  (Read 1165 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Corpses lining the streets
« on: December 24, 2010, 02:39:12 am »

So I have my military squads stationed at strategic points around my dorf city, including near the road to the caverns. I have refuse hauling enabled on all dorfs, (o)-(r)-(o) has been done, I have an open , accessible refuse pile and 20-something idlers...

So WHY are my streets still piled about 7 bodies high with rotting corpses?!
くコ:彡

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corpses lining the streets
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:34 am »

So WHY are my streets still piled about 7 bodies high with rotting corpses?!

That's a really good question. Are they dwarf bodies? Was there some sort of a catastrophe? Is great Cthulhu loose again, and ravening for delight? Or are the fortress cats just leaving presents for their owners everywhere?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 04:20:28 am »

Is your "city" aboveground? Because corpses that are aboveground don't produce miasma and aren't hauled. Except for dead dwarves, they need coffins.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 05:58:11 am »

Is your "city" aboveground? Because corpses that are aboveground don't produce miasma and aren't hauled. Except for dead dwarves, they need coffins.

They will be hauled if you enable the gathering of outside refuse (one of the options from the "o"rders menu, I believe).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:00:59 am »

they need coffins.
They do not. If you have no coffins, you can expect burial to happen at any 'graveyard' stockpile, though coffins are a better choice.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:47:35 am »

Poor kobold remain lies practically forever in main walkway to-from proper fortress. Generating miasma for every goddamn woodcutter, herbalist, fisher and any other dwarf that have bussiness outside. No one drag him away. NO ONE.

Yes, I have big population, with many hauler-only servants. Yes, there is refuse stockpile. Vermin corpses produced by cat are removed fast. While fort is rather busy all the time, this is no excuse for leaving rotting corpse next to dwarves with their usual life (now with side of bad thought due to miasma).

So... priorites are seriously screwed up. Someone would think that removing rotting corpse would be rather important. This looks like similiar bug with, say, medics - they will anything instead of diagnose or actually heal patients. Including long periods of "No job". I hate bugs.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 08:40:33 am »

Dig a hole and tell them to dump everything in that hole. Dumping will get bumped up to priority one for everyone.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 08:40:54 am »

have you set disable items on death?  Or are they forbidden for some reason?  Those are normally the reasons stinking corpses lie bloated in the streets...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 09:33:46 am »

Corpses aren't forbidden, city is indeed above ground, forbid on death is turned off, outdoor refuse is, as I said, turned on, no dwarf corpses. Sometimes I just enjoy letting sieges in and seeing how far they get before they become the future building blocks of my soap tower.

Thorzog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:37:28 pm »

have you set disable items on death?  Or are they forbidden for some reason?  Those are normally the reasons stinking corpses lie bloated in the streets...

How do you do that? By editing the raws? For me goblinite is too much of a hassle to mine.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:50:38 pm by Thorzog »

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 01:44:46 pm »

You need a corpse stockpile, not a refuse stockpile.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:30:58 pm »

Really now? Because in my last fort, also in .18, all the kobolds and goblins and assorted nasties just went to the refuse pile.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 05:11:39 pm »

I think they're supposed to go to the refuse stockpile. The non-dwarves, at least.

Maybe try going through your
  • rders screen and make absolutely sure everything is as it should be?

edit: ...That's a really weird O.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.