Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A soldier killed my hunter :(  (Read 2526 times)

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
A soldier killed my hunter :(
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:03:33 pm »

Randomly I got the notice "Blah BlahBlah - Hunter has bled to death" so I look at the report and see that one of my recruits has murdered him.
As far as I can tell by the report, the recruit just walked up and slashed him in half. It doesn't say that the hunter accidentily shot the recruit or anything. I looked at the "Justice" tab in the Z menu, and it shows the name of my hunter ( Not the recruit ) and says deceased. So, maybe this means that the hunter did something wrong?
If you have any ideas as to what happened, please share.
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A soldier killed my hunter :(
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:38:36 pm »

mandate wasn't met, hunter had relevant labor on and was chosen for punishment. you don't have jails set up, so a fortress guard went and beat him with whatever weapon he has equipped.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:51:40 pm »

Oh, well that's not very fair! The mayor wanted FIRE IMP LEATHER! And 3 of them!
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:58:18 pm »

which is why you either a) set up jails (restraints or cages turned into a room) or b) don't have a fortress guard (preventing any punishment from being doled out).
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:39 pm »

Or C. Set up a pretty kaolinite lever for your mayor to yank on.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »

Could you give your Fortress Guards, say, clubs of Feather Tree wood to administer beatings with and make sure they all have low strength values?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:27:15 pm »

You could, but there's still some risk that the fortress guard member will get a lucky, fatal or permanently-crippling blow, even with a no-quality feather wood training sword or adamantine mace/war hammer. Better to have a jail, no police force, or dead nobles.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 09:30:23 pm »

I love building day spas jails, full of the most fine crafted valuable objects you can get your hands on law and justice.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 09:37:57 pm »

Personally I just issue my fortress guard with donkey bone crossbows but no ammo.

Noone ever even gets bruises cuz the donkey bone glances off their clothing.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 09:39:04 pm »

you will need about 10 jails, all of them very well equip so that the dwarf isnt too upset about randomly being imprisoned.
either that or you get a new noble with less desirable tastes...

I found this out the hard way when my mayor who loved adamantite decided to punish everyone with the armorcrafting/blacksmithing ability...
after my 5 jails filled up, justice was dispensed via a legendary axedwarf.... new armorsmith is still training.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 09:43:42 pm »

This is why you choose an expedition leader with a preference for things you can easily supply...

Pre-embark, look at your seven dwarves. Check their preferences. Find one who only likes things that you can make and nothing that you can't/don't want to. Make that one your expidition leader. Later, he'll become mayor and start making mandates, but they'll all be things you can provide because you picked a dwarf with preferences for those things. Promote him to baron when time comes.

Not sure about the state of migrant nobles since I tend to get bored of my fortresses rather easily, but for nobles you can pick, a little work chosing the right dwarf will save you alotta headaches when you get further along the road.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 11:13:43 pm »

I don't mind making jails and guards because if the happiness system hasn't changed much in a while getting out of jail gives such a huge boost that even the most depressed dwarf becomes ecstatic. I suppose it's a tradeoff between tantrumers accidentally killing your dwarves and fortress guards accidentally killing your dwarves.

'course I could stop hurling dead dwarves in the river but that sounds like a lot of work.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 11:49:23 pm »

"greetings, urist! come to join me in a spot of hunting?"
"aye. says here you didnt deliver the mayors three fire imp leathers. i'm here to collect."
"but urist,  i have nary a- U-URK"

urist mc hunter has bled to death