Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning the Difficulty Up?  (Read 1080 times)

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
Turning the Difficulty Up?
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:35:47 pm »

Okay, well, maybe not 'turning the difficulty up' but how do I keep this from happening again?

I chose a place where I was at war with both the elves and the goblins. I did the all peasant, no gear challenge--and it was Cold. I was looking for a fun time.

I saw a (single) ambush, but never a siege. Got near 200 dwarves, a massive fortress guarded by traps and patrolling soldiers, tons of artifacts... eventually I just carved my way to the deep place just so I'd have something to DO. I had a bigger fight with the frames per second than the goblins or elves or beasts :(

Couldn't even find any tribes in the underground area, or cave spiders.

I believe I needed all of 3 coffins that game, and two of them were because while building a trap I accidentally collapsed a floor onto my meeting area which, strangely, only one person was in at the time (the second coffin was for the miner responsible for the accident)

So... are there any specific things I can do to more readily assure there are sieges? Or even a forgotten beast/titan now and then? I know it's more or less random, but, that was 5 game-years with nothing happening but wealth figures going up and FPS going down, making it the most boring round of Dwarf Fortress I've ever done.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turning the Difficulty Up?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:40:21 pm »

Start producing tons of wealth; all ore smelted, all stone to blocks, build tons of stuff with rock blocks, dig up some adamantine and forge stuff with it, toss some valuable stuff outside for thieves... That's all I can think of.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:46 pm »

You may want to look into modding. I've heard some scary things about the Defense Mod...
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:18:48 pm »

darkflagrance's Fortress Defense mod will make you get sieged as early as the first winter. Usually, you'll be getting a siege two to four times per season by the time you would be getting sieges for the first time in vanilla. The difficulty of the first sieges is relatively low, though that matters less when you've not had much time to get soldiers with decent skills or equipment yet, but it ramps up quickly. By the end, you'll be getting creatures that put any goblin to shame; Nightwings in particular are brutal, with immunities to pretty much everything but sheer damage (they don't drown, burn, don't trigger traps, don't bleed, breathe, get stunned, get nauseous, feel no fear... Their list of immunities is huge, and they fly). Myself, I find getting rid of all but 3-5 of the enemy races is more than enough for a constant stream of Fun, without the annoying fact that you don't get many caravans with too many sieges coming in.

Deon's Genesis mod also adds difficulty, IIRC, including more hostile civs, but adds a lot of other things, too, that I dislike. Tons more plants, domestic animals, metals, a couple of extra stones... It's mostly just annoying. Mephansteras's Civilization Forge mod is similar, but even more civs, both hostile and friendly.

You might also look into one of the mods that changes the playable race, such as Kobold Camp, which is significantly harder since it A) makes everyone hate you, B) severely reduces the availability of decent equipment, C) reduces the availability of stone, D) reduces the individual power of your people, and otherwise just makes the game a whole lot harder. Other conversion mods change other things, such as Wizard Tower which makes your own people harder to please and more prone to internal conflict as well.

But yeah, modding is probably what you're going to want to look into, or simply see if you can't get a more dangerous embark to begin with.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:04:37 pm »

The latest version of DF lets you adjust worldgen settings. Crank legendary beasts and savagery all the way up. What kind of wildlife was at your embark site? Try an evil environment; zombie animals are sure to create tons of Fun.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:41:40 pm »

Probably tooting my own horn here but my mod + FD = hell upon thy embark. 8)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 08:00:12 am »

I will vouch.

This is an awesome combo!
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:13:55 am »

I've been playing Deon's Genesis mod, it's quite fun and adds a lot to the vanilla game.  Four different enemy races makes for quite a lot of warfare, the werewolves that have just been fixed add quite a lot of fun.

There's always a chance that the goblins in your world couldn't reach your embark if say there was the sea between your glacier? embark site and the main continent.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 09:58:27 am »

I am currently using FD II on 'challenge mode' (though I haven't lived long enough to see the challenge beasts yet), and I have kobald kamp (hmm.. What about combining those two!) but yea, either of those make for a hard game.

I prefer Fortress Defense as it makes every time you venture outside of your fort feel tense and scary (as it should be) cause at any moment a siege may show up and trap people outside.

If you want to stay vanilla however, as people said, embark on a savage biome (since he changed up undead they aren't so hard anymore as they used to be so oddly you are better off in either a generally savage or 'joyous wilds' area, plus then less chance of miasma spouting monsters to ruin your FPS).  If you want hard turn caverns off (or just swear to not use them so you have to rely on other sources for water) then embark on a glacier or frozen tundra or desert, no water (well there is on the glacier but you gotta get it), no wood, or very little wood, and no plants, or very few plants (and the lack of water limits your farming options).

Other then that piss off all civs except yours, export/create tons of wealth, don't wall in/use drawbridges/limit dwarf equipment, etc.

There are literally tons of things you can do to increase the challenge from just a little bit to the point the game is effectively impossible.

-MB

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 11:25:30 am »

I am currently using FD II on 'challenge mode' (though I haven't lived long enough to see the challenge beasts yet), and I have kobald kamp (hmm.. What about combining those two!) but yea, either of those make for a hard game.
FD II should work perfectly with kobold camp. Maybe I should play some KC games someday. Its design is quite... intriguing.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:35:24 am »

The latest version of DF lets you adjust worldgen settings. Crank legendary beasts and savagery all the way up. What kind of wildlife was at your embark site? Try an evil environment; zombie animals are sure to create tons of Fun.

You could do that before.

Try embarking on a haunted glacier. That was pretty challenging for me, so maybe it'll be challenging for you.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 03:34:22 pm »

Thine* embark.  Haha, archaic grammar nazi attack!

I might not have lost but getting 3 dwarves' legs mashed up due to not having any trousers during my first ambush (spent 18 months pumping magma up 30 z-levels... and other projects... now AFTER the ambush I've 50 full sets of steal weapons/armour but not enough leather!!!) and I was totally upset.  I plan on meeting all attacks and ambushes with swords and projectiles.  No traps!  No animals!  No legendary woodcutters with mw steel axes (who got killed when his legs were chopper off by a kobold thief... -_-).
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk