Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals gaining experience  (Read 577 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animals gaining experience
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:44:29 am »

Do animals gain experience points when they fight things like dorfs do? And if not is there a way to mod them to?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Animals gaining experience
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 02:51:23 am »

Most animals can't by default, I think it can be added with the [CAN_LEARN] tag found in the raws, so you CAN mod experience in. The modding section has more info.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:34 am »

remember that unless you mod dwarf ethics, dwarves will not butcher or eat creatures with the [CAN_LEARN] tag.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:52:27 am »

I added CAN_LEARN and genned a new world. I widened one of the pools on my new embark and set one end as a pit, and the other as a ramp. I dropped my cow down the pit and made him swim through the 6/7 and 5/7 water to the other side with the ramp. I had hoped he would start to gain some stats but after a good 20mins of trying, it didn't seem like he was. Any other suggestions to make this work?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 05:36:31 am »

Im not sure what went wrong here.  I've run a few worlds now with CAN_LEARN dogs who ended up being unstoppable behemoths of legendary biter destruction

You say he didnt learn stats.  you were looking at attributes or skills?  also, how are you judging skill-gain in an animal? 
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 05:38:41 am »

Just leave it to swim for a couple of years, then make it fight against a gobbo. Then several gobbos.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.