Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first Artifact.... Is a hatch cover?  (Read 1376 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first Artifact.... Is a hatch cover?
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:27:30 pm »

Well... It obviously wasn't what I was expecting... It also brings up another question how and why would I use it... (For Intrest value Ill post it)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ill admit despite it being a hatch cover, Its kind of epic....
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first Artifact.... Is a hatch cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:35:27 pm »

That's a lot of raw native gold there...

I suggest building it within your dining room or meeting area where dwarves will be able to admire it.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

That's a lot of raw native gold there...

I suggest building it within your dining room or meeting area where dwarves will be able to admire it.

So... How regular is this?....
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:57:48 pm »

Pretty normal.  A hatchcover is actually a pretty nice artifact.  I usually get silly things like figurines of flies.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:07:40 pm »

Anything that can be built is very helpful for keeping dwarves happy and increasing room value.

Then you get things like figurines, large gems, and other item types which are normally only useful for trade. Given that you're not allowed to trade artifacts, these items do nothing except (hopefully) give you an instant-legendary on the associated skill.

I say hopefully because Possessed moods don't give skill level ups like fey and secretive moods do.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:15:19 pm »

You can place it over a down-stair or something like that, and it will prevent things like flooding. And any designated room you build this in will hit royal status instantly.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:28:06 pm »

Putting it somewhere your dwarves will admire it like a work of art is good, because it will give them happy thoughts.  In purely practical terms, a hatch cover is basically a door set into the floor.  You can use it to block off stairs down, cover a drain hole for a water reservoir, and things like that.  But any old hatch can be used for those things.  This one should be someplace it makes the dwarves happy.  Or someplace that makes you happy, anyway.  I know I sometimes like to use something ridiculously extravagant in a particular location just for the sheer decadence of it.  It just feels dwarfy.  So you could use it to control water flow into or out of your gold plated cistern, for instance.  (Okay, now my next fort has to have a gold plated cistern.  That sounds awesome.)

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:32:48 pm »

When you think about it though "Menacing spikes" on things like doors and hatch covers make you feel less inclined to put them in places where dwarves would use them. Given the hustle and bustle of a good fort...