Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Videos: Can someone help me out?  (Read 867 times)

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Videos: Can someone help me out?
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:11:04 pm »

I'm trying to record video clips of me playing Dwarf Fortress for a friend (She wants to see me playing) except I cannot figure out how to get the right format.
Should I film using the in-game recorder or using a different application to film?

I just wanna figure this out T_T
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Videos: Can someone help me out?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 07:56:41 pm »

Definitely use an external program to record. DF's video recorder uses it's own special format; there's a player around somewhere (try the DF wiki), but it'd probably be easier to record to mpeg or something. Plus you can use the recorder for other stuff too, should you want to.

Try FRAPS, I haven't used it personally, but I've seen it used a good bit.
If you can set up a network, you might try DFterm (search the forum). You can use it for a limited sort of multi-player too. Not certain it's compatible w/ the latest release though.

(If you happen to be on Linux, ffmpeg will do the job. I don't think the Windows build has that feature though.)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch