Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Commander has major injuries but refuses to rest!!! Help!  (Read 750 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile

He just went rambo and took out an entire ambush on his own with very little armour on.  He created a blood bath, killing 1 of the attackers and choping the limbs off of several others.  He also cut open a few arteries.  I think only 1 of the attackers managed to retreat without sustaining a major injurie.  However due to his own injuries my commander has lost the ability to stand (sencorie nerve damage to his left foot, several nevers severed?) and also has an infection (left foot?).  However, he's listed as "no job" rather than "resting" and no's going to pick him up and drag him to the hospital so my doctors can fix him up.  Can i force him to rest?  What can i do to fix this?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Military Commander has major injuries but refuses to rest!!! Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 03:21:09 pm »

AFAIK
Not Really
and Not Much

Medical issues are taken care of whenever dwarves damn well feel like it, including hauling the injured. I've had a badly injured dwarf (from a cave-in) lie on the floor with complete access and 25 idlers for a week before someone decided to haul his ass to the hospital.

If he's lost the ability to stand, he is no longer a useful member of society, all he can really do take up booze and food.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:22:57 pm by Acperience »

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 03:30:24 pm »

AFAIK
Not Really
and Not Much

Medical issues are taken care of whenever dwarves damn well feel like it, including hauling the injured. I've had a badly injured dwarf (from a cave-in) lie on the floor with complete access and 25 idlers for a week before someone decided to haul his ass to the hospital.

If he's lost the ability to stand, he is no longer a useful member of society, all he can really do take up booze and food.

ok so he pretty much just walked his injuries off...or should i say "sat there like an idiot".  He now only has a dented foot.  One of my guys finaly decided to drag his sorry ass to the hospital, and m guy also seems to have regained the ability to walk...im not sure why i even keep my doctors around if my guys can just heal anything off by sitting there twiddling their thumbs for a week....oh well...im just gonna hope the docs can fix the infection and mild foot injurie so he can get back to partolling.....thanks dwarf fortres for your unter randomness and inpredictability -.-'
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:41:25 pm »

Well good, apparently he had superior healing or something. Watch out for that infection though. Even after your doctors "clean" it, it can kill the dwarf several months later.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 04:39:32 pm »

dude, your milta commander is bad-ass!
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:02:02 pm »

I had related experience recently when a soldier had his foot cut open twice. The first time was early on, and there being no doctor around to mend him, he laid about for a couple of weeks and then one day got up and went on with his business. The second time, however,  he was hauled off to the hospital where he received medical aid, and was apparently prescribed three years of bed rest, which lasted until a criminally insane cohort entered in room and beat him to death with a wooden axe. I've read about the bug with dwarves not leaving the hospital when their wounds have healed, but this was not the case. His wee little injury had persisted, uninfected, after all that time.

Sometimes I wonder if you're better off without a hospital.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:05:29 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 03:50:02 pm »

I as well wonder if you're better off without a chief medical dwarf. I once had someone beat up pretty bad and had the hospital set up and stocked already and lots of different specialized doctors from huge migrant waves forgot to appoint the noble though. One of the diagnosers however went in diagnosed very fast and then all the doctors would come and treat everything that was pending. After appointing the noble treatment was pretty much as good but diagnosing would take a lot longer to actually begin and also to finish.