Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Df being finished in 2012  (Read 3178 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Df being finished in 2012
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 04:20:05 am »

Via extrapolation though, there was this one guy that managed to get a prediction for DF1.0 assuming Toady continues to work at this pace (lost the thread, sorry).

It was 2038.

That was me, in this thread, and it was 2028.

EDIT:
Well, it took 4 years to get to over 30 percent complete.
Didn't he start it in 2002?

If it was you in this thread I'd have said that. My memory isn't that short.

And yes, he started around 2002 AFAIK. Meaning it was eight to nine years for 31 percent, 24 to 27 years for 93.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 04:43:45 am »

People should note that development is getting faster, as more and more fundamental parts of the code are finished.

Though I agree the game is far from finished.

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 05:28:10 am »

Awwwww.... development is my favorite part of the game.  I love trolling the forums and reading stuff and everything is new.  I
m not being sarcastic

Strike the earth!

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 07:53:33 am »

Well, it will hit beta once enough of the features are in. Toady has said that he wants to put in graphics, but how can you animate the ridiculous amount of actions in this game?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:14 am »

Well, it will hit beta once enough of the features are in. Toady has said that he wants to put in graphics, but how can you animate the ridiculous amount of actions in this game?

Right. If that happens, you'll probably have something like The Sims on a Sim City scale, instead of a household scale.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 09:19:51 am »

Awwwww.... development is my favorite part of the game.  I love trolling the forums and reading stuff and everything is new.  Im not being sarcastic

Strike the earth!

Don't troll the forums.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43:25 pm »

Right. If that happens, you'll probably have something like The Sims on a Sim City scale, instead of a household scale.

BUT AWESOME!!!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 10:54:43 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is actually a program that analyzes human behavior. As we play it stores packets of information that are then sent to a massive database. This database contains the millions of worlds that have been generated and a detailed record of the players actions in that world. 2012 is when it will have gathered enough information.

For what, you ask?

That is for us to find out.
So the fate of the human race depends on the behavior patterns of the B12 community?
Uh oh...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 08:27:08 pm »

I worry that Dwarf Fortress will only ever be finished in the same way as a Dwarf Fortress is finished... fun.

But as for graphics, Toady doesn't have to do that alone. He might rather, but he's a coder and a designer, I'm sure the internet is ready to spew forth hundreds of eager and willing artists to model meshes and whatnot for the greater glory of dorfdom.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 04:22:08 am »

I would say that Dwarf Fortress will be never more than 33% complete.
What I mean is that while there will be constant progress and the game will get better and better and have more features, there will always be at least 2x more stuff to do than there is already done... ;)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 04:34:34 am »

I don't think Toady losing interest is much of a threat. He has stated (Or So I Heard) that DF is a life project. As in: The singular goal that he will spend the majority of his life working to accomplish. This isn't to say that DF will ever be finished, mind you. The closest we'll probably ever get to finished is when Toady dies, which could easily be many updates past DF 1.0.

Honestly, I don't think putting out the source code or not will matter in any way. Can you even imagine what DF's source code must look like, even at this stage, much less once it's gone gold? I doubt anyone could do anything with it without causing the whole thing to come crashing down on top of itself, even Toady isn't able to prevent that at times. Remember when .31 first came out? The changes were big, and we're still seeing a few of the problems that came with those changes half a year's worth of bugfixes later. Dwarf Fortress is easily the single largest, most worked on game I've ever seen, and that status is only going to become harder to usurp as time goes on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3]