Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting dwarves to recover wounded?  (Read 751 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Getting dwarves to recover wounded?
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:40:43 pm »

So, here's the scenario: It's three years in, and there's been a catastrafuck. Four simultaneous goblin ambushes appeared inside my fortress gates (opened to let some human traders in), and wholesale slaughter ensues. Of the goblins, thanks to my one master (and evidently god-like) axe-dwarf turning them into a squishy organ farm.

However, they managed to inflict THIS upon the one unlucky dorf who noticed them:

Now I do have a hospital set up (well actually loads of little ones that all form together to become one, due to the unconventional shape of the room) complete with doctors and the medical dwarf noble. Now I was expecting that someone would come along, pick up this poor dwarf and get her to the hospital, where she could be treated.

No.

This dwarf had to crawl by herself about 120 tiles to get to the hospital (a feat worthy of admiration, given that it by all accounts she should have been permanently immobilised. And dead).

So, how DO you get people to recover the wounded, if it's not an automatic thing (or is it, and that the game just really hates that character?). Do they only get recovered when they're unconscious? (as this dorf was conscious the whole time).
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Getting dwarves to recover wounded?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:58:40 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73291.msg1811044#msg1811044

If their job says "resting", they're resting, not that it matter too much, since the hospital is so buggy they might not even be recovering.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:02:41 pm by Acperience »

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting dwarves to recover wounded?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:55:39 pm »

Best thing you can do is turn of the labor for all dwarfs and enable it only for some expendable dwarfs. Also note that recovering wounded will break surgery if you built tables next to your hospital beds as the dumb dorfs will "recover" the patient that is currently being operated on (causing a surgery cancelled patient not resting message). So whenever you see a dwarf with needs surgery in his treatment screen you have to turn of the recover wounded labor for all dwarfs (or lock the hospital door or build a hospital with single rooms for every patient). Or you could just build no tables next to the beds then the dwarf will be treated in his bed.