Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Military Tactics  (Read 1533 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Tactics
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 11:23:44 pm »

Well, this is a two part question. Firstly, what's the skill 'Military Tactics' used for?
And secondly, what are the usual military tactics people use? Like, for one, how do you group your squads? By weapons?
I think that 'Military Tactics' is an NPC skill that sometimes seeps through the cracks into a migrant now and then.

Here's a military tactic that I use: I place four Note markers near the four corners of the map, and create a route called perimeter road. Then on the third month of every season -- when the goblins come -- I schedule my best squad to patrol perimeter road. They often discover ambushes before the goblins can get in close and harm civilians.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Tactics
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 01:26:09 pm »

For non-danger room fortresses, squads of same-weapon soldiers seems to work best for training.  Also, smaller does seem better.  I haven't tested extensively for numbers in-between, but my 10-man squad (7 minimum training) had all kinds of skills going rusty.  The problem was that they were ALWAYS waiting for tardy members to show up for demonstrations, so most of their time in the barracks was a waste.  However, in my 3-man squad (2 minimum training), the soldiers were always either sparring or taking part in one-on-one demonstrations.  Very effective.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:39:23 pm by VerdantSF »
Pages: 1 [2]