Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What materials should I make my golems from?(all non-ore and non-gem stones are here, so read before choosing)

Chalk
Chert
Claystone
Conglomerate
Dolomite
Limestone
Mudstone
Rock Salt
Sandstone
Shale
Siltstone
Diorite
Gabbro
Granite
Andesite
Basalt
Dactite
Obsidian
Rhyolite
Gneiss
Marble
Phyillite
Quartzite
Schist
Slate
Alabaster
Alunite
Anhydrite
Bauxite
Bituminous Coal
Borax
Brimstone
Calcite
Chromite
Cinnabar
Cobaltite
Cryolite
Graphite
Gypsum
Hornblende
Ilmenite
Jet
Kaolinite
Kimberlite
Lignite
Marcasite
Mica
Microcline
Olivine
Orpiment
Orthaclase
Periclase
Petrified wood
Pitchblende
Puddingstone
Pyrolusite
Realgar
Rutile
Saltpeter
Satinspar
Selenite
Serpentine
Stibnite
Sylvite
Talc

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: IT LIIIIIIVES!  (Read 3864 times)

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IT LIIIIIIVES!
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 08:39:44 pm »

Although this is all stuff I REALLY want to do, AFAIK it is impossible to make a reaction that results in a creature or animal. can't remember the thread, but if I find it I will post a link.

In my researchs i have maded a reaction in adventurer mode (i dont remeber how, but it was in adv because the reactions were not that complicated or something like that) to create a golem from a stone, but as i dont know almost nothing about modding, the reaction create a single golem of any rock (but im sure that creating a lot of reactions and golems for each size/material is possible) and the golem (very bad modded) has similar stats to a bronze colossus, and moving like 20 steps for each of my adventurer...

The last thing i recall is making half a dozen or so, and going to attack a town, first the golems dont do anything, but then something happen an they ripped of the entire town in 3 steps, then they fled to spare doom everywhere

This was maded in genesis mod 3.12, but only because i have found there where the reactions are, i know that is totally possible in vanilla (i have used genesis mod only for adv mode, its so boring without the wanderer reactions)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 09:15:28 pm »

Although this is all stuff I REALLY want to do, AFAIK it is impossible to make a reaction that results in a creature or animal. can't remember the thread, but if I find it I will post a link.

In my researchs i have maded a reaction in adventurer mode (i dont remeber how, but it was in adv because the reactions were not that complicated or something like that) to create a golem from a stone, but as i dont know almost nothing about modding, the reaction create a single golem of any rock (but im sure that creating a lot of reactions and golems for each size/material is possible) and the golem (very bad modded) has similar stats to a bronze colossus, and moving like 20 steps for each of my adventurer...

The last thing i recall is making half a dozen or so, and going to attack a town, first the golems dont do anything, but then something happen an they ripped of the entire town in 3 steps, then they fled to spare doom everywhere

This was maded in genesis mod 3.12, but only because i have found there where the reactions are, i know that is totally possible in vanilla (i have used genesis mod only for adv mode, its so boring without the wanderer reactions)

Are you serious? I didn't realize that creating living things from reactions was possible. You know, since there's always the ability to get the stone type of a stone that you're holding in a reaction, it might be possible, now, to make a golem out of anything your adventurer can get ahold of -- microcline, bauxite, red beryl...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 09:19:39 pm »

This seems like an interesting claim. All attempts by other modders to make life through reaction has been limited to 'fake' creatures, with odd behaviors, self destruction included.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:17 pm »

Well the only "creatures" we've made were vermin. They weren't even the real vermin they were called. So you wouldn't get shell from a turtle or food from fish.

They were all fake, they move ridiculous speeds and as far as I saw, did nothing. They'd eventually just disappear.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 09:36:00 pm »

So...
Modders are like the real life alchimestis, seeking the answer to making artificial life.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 10:21:20 pm »

Your poll will not let me vote or see the results...

I would vote for...

petrified wood - the thought of a golem made out of something that used to be made of wood amuses me.
obsidian - it's freaking black glass made from magma!
shale - obviously.
pitchblende - Gobbo McAmbusher cancels live: interrupted by fat man.
bauxite - Lava moats just got that much more badass.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:27:35 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 10:37:34 pm »

A golem of soap...  SOAP

Just think the posibilities... the water... the dwarves trying to clean themselves rubbing against him (and then cancel) the soap... just before a fight, he could cure al infections right there

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »

I see bauxite golems walking out of a magma moat when I hear this.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »

plump helmet golem *-* (or some strange combination of larvish meal edible golem)
cat skulls golem
large serrated disc golem
large toad leather thong golem

dye/quality system *-*

-red steel golem-
*ruby encrusted black gold golem*
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:30:33 pm by Mechanist »

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 11:19:35 pm »

So...
Modders are like the real life alchimestis, seeking the answer to making artificial life.

I kinda like how all their attempts at creating life end with the poor misshapen creature going crazy and dying.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 11:29:41 pm »

Other things i have thought for golems is that the size could be related to the quantities of materials to make them (i think 4 default sizes):
1 single metal bar (or stone, or whatever) could make a tiny golem (not so good at combat, like a dog or cat)
5 bars make a golem (normal one) very similar to a dwarf
20 make some thing like a bronze colossus (but a little nerfed perhaps)
and 250 stones make an uber-golem, something so brute and big that the ground trembles before him, and foes and friends alike die under his walk

1 inferus (inferi)
2 golem
3 colossus (colossi)
4 monstrosity

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2010, 12:40:04 am »

I kinda like how all their attempts at creating life end with the poor misshapen creature going crazy and dying.

That realy is just what I was thinking. It is rather full-metalesk.
Although I was never a huge fan of the series.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 02:05:32 am »

I see bauxite golems walking out of a magma moat when I hear this.

Aye, and menacing with spikes of doom.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 10:59:53 am »

Your poll will not let me vote or see the results...

I would vote for...

petrified wood - the thought of a golem made out of something that used to be made of wood amuses me.
obsidian - it's freaking black glass made from magma!
shale - obviously.
pitchblende - Gobbo McAmbusher cancels live: interrupted by fat man.

aye, I locked it about a day ago. sorry  :-\ I just didn't want to feel obligated to wait to finish these guys. There almost done now, just need to put the last tweaks on them, then I'll put up the final version in the modding forum.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2010, 01:51:06 pm »

Well, there done. I call them "failure" as I can't get them to do what I originally built them for, but here's the link:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73282.0

Just follow the directions there and you will have Stone Golems available to you in Fort mode. (they make a semi-decent war beast, at least)
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.
Pages: 1 2 [3]