Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spark: Chapter 1, Pieces of the Past  (Read 617 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Spark: Chapter 1, Pieces of the Past
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:55:45 pm »

Link to OOC thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72955.0

January 3rd, 2213
There's no winter in space but it still seems like it's a chill in the air.  Chilling images from Earth, ghostlike deserted quarters
in the deserted SolarSat stations and the painful memories of the past few years all together have a way of weighing down on everyones mind.  There's different ways of reacting to the season, some remember the past, other's try to forget it.  But for three disparate travelers, it seemed that this time, the past was going to remember them...

Hidden in the deserted levels of a half empty SolarSat station, came a gentle hissing sound, barely even audible if anyone had been around to hear it.
Slowly but steadily, it unleashed it's deadly contents as the warning sensors remained idle.  Minutes then hours passed and the atmosphere saturated itself with the explosive mixture.  And then... a spark.

------------------------

January 4th, 2213

"Have I got a Christmas present for you!" The face of an old... acquantence appeared on Raoul's screen, with a smile that didn't inspire trust. Dan Song, they had parted on less then friendly terms five years back.  Raoul had been a bright faced youngster eager to sell his technical skills to make a quick buck. Dan had been the useless son of a bitch who had been a thorn in his side for the three months that they had worked together.
"Raoul old buddy, how'd you like to buy yourself a new ship?  I've got fifty thousand big ones and they've got your name on them.  Real easy work this one.  You remember five years back, when we spent three months on that team repairing the systems of that SolarSat station after it went up like fireworks?  Well another one just went up and naturally I thought of my good friend Raoul.  You and me, partners leading the repair team.  This thing is huge.  It was the center of the system beaming the power over to the Range.  Basically, anything I ask for, they give me, easiest job you could dream of.
What do you say?"

Spoiler: Dan Song (click to show/hide)

------------------------

There's no justice in the world and today Lexi didn't even have to do more then glance at the news to know it.
*Legion Ambasador Hadrian Solomon Arrives At Kim Station*
-trade talks between earth and near earth stations begin-

But despite the disgusting headline, Lexi's eye is caught by another story:

Missing Detective Linked To Magellan Explosion Yesterday
Detective Pedro Rico was investigating area during the explosion. Anonomous sources have revealed that orbital authority police detective Pedro Rico is missing in events related to the explosion of Magellan station yesterday.  Detective Rico was conducting and investigation in the levels where the explosion started at the time of detonation but it is not clear what he was investigating.  However considering the fact that the levels in question were otherwise deserted at the time, local sources have speculated that his investigation is probably linked to the explosion.  Initial reports indicate that detective Rico's was not found dead at the scene of the explosion.  Inquiries at his apartment indicate that he has not been seen for two days prior to the investigation.  The police have declined to comment on the missing detective but have verified that he is missing and asked anybody with knowledge to his whereabouts to contact them.

After all these years, there was Captain Rico's nephew, staring up at her from the page...

Spoiler: Hadrian Solomon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Anita Rico (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pedro Rico (click to show/hide)

------------------------

Another dimly lit bar on another station where he'd done another job.  Even as Desmond moved from place to place, the scenery remained the same...
"Yo, gramps." Some half starved kid was pulling on his sleave.  Desmond glanced at him and had an envelope shoved in his face.
"The man outside said to give this to you.  Said you'd give me a five spot for my trouble."  The kid stood there, expectantly as Desmond looked inside...
There was a news print out from the explosion over by earth yesterday.  Hard to see how that related to Desmond.  Behind that were some more printouts, relating to a previous explosion about four, five years back.  Desmond flipped through the pages and saw a smaller article which was highlighted and printed in bigger font.  Something about one of the victims going missing after the explosion and a police investigation...

And there he saw it.  Under the name James Hammond.  It was his own face staring back at him from the news article, staring back at himself angrily from five years ago...

"GRAMPS! You gonna pay me or what?" the kid impatiently shook the man's arm.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Spark: Chapter 1, Pieces of the Past
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:40:15 pm »

"twi'o tri adec fu-cred usy? Cak 'o manjo 'o fre-fre 'o viju, e shimon usy? Comjup graplu no, sefil!"

Literal translation: "2*3*10^4 [monetary unit name] you say? Cake and a manage-job and much freedom and with you, it is a simple job you say? Count me up, more than greater, now, send the data."

Simplified/interpretive translation: "50 000 credits you say? An easy job with lots of freedom, and largely management/coordination type tasks. You can count on me for this one, send me some links about the job so I can read up on it. "
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Spark: Chapter 1, Pieces of the Past
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »

Pedro Rico... what have you gotten yourself into? The police are useless, everybody knows that, myself most of all. The only sensible way to get to the bottom of this is with a detective, and failing that, a mercenary. Thankfully I fell into the latter, and had even had a go at the former. Although that asshat Solomon is another problem to deal with. Noone can imagine how satisfying it would be to make him pay. But I owe it to Captain Rico, her nephew Pedro comes first.

The first thing I gotta do is get to Magellan. Then I can start my own investigation into What happened to Pedro. If Kim station is on the way, then so much the better.