Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Taken by Fey Mood Won't Collect Materials  (Read 1606 times)

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
Dwarf Taken by Fey Mood Won't Collect Materials
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »

Heyas all,

I only just started playing Dwarf Fortress a few days ago. In my previous (and first) game (which I abandoned) I had a Bowyr taken by a Fey Mood and she collected the materials as usual and just made the thing (Oak Bow adorned with Talc). This game its not going as smoothly.

First, he wanted a Craftsdwarf shop and I made a lucky guess and built one right off for him.
Now he's siezed it for his own diabolical (dwarfabolical?) construction but he won't go collect materials.
He's demanding wood logs and silk cloth. Wood Logs are right across the hall and I just purchased Silk Cloth from the trader. Is there some reason the lazy bum won't collect them himself? What can I do to get him his materials so he doesn't go mad?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Taken by Fey Mood Won't Collect Materials
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:20:01 pm »

Make sure the logs and cloth isn't already being used for another task. If that isn't working, he may be demanding a specific type of cloth, what kind did you buy? Also, stay on the list a little longer, you may be missing something he wants.

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:37:57 pm »

Let's see~

I watch the list and it just keeps cycling around from logs to silk cloth.
I bought spider silk cloth and giant spider silk cloth.
Next time I play I'll cancel the production of wood stuff and see if that does it. Although I have soooooo many logs I'm not sure if it would be that.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:46:15 pm »

He may want Rope Reed cloth or Pig Tail fiber cloth
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:46:54 pm »

If it says silk it means silk and not plant cloth.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:26:30 pm »

Here's what you do to solve the issue:

Designate a stockpile for cloth.  The dwarves should then move all your cloth to this stockpile.  As soon as the cloth is placed within it (and thus not queued for a task at all) your fey mood dwarf should go pick it up.

I've found that dwarves often "wait" on collecting materials when other dwarves have tasked them for moving or they're stuck in the trade depot.  The best solution is just to try to get the dwarves to move the items out of the trade depot and into a stockpile.  Likewise with other materials you may want or need.

Nine times out of ten, this solves the problem for me.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:10:47 am »

Okay, I'm an idiot. Because of the way the names are truncated on the Trading screen I accidentally bough Silk Thread and a Silk Bag. I noticed my mistake and sold a crossbow and the silk bag back to buy what I needed.

Sorry guys. The bug this time is called "User Error".

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:27:18 am »

If you had a loom, you could've used the silk thread to make some silk cloth.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 11:44:01 am »

I'm still getting all my industries set up. Speaking of which I need to get some ore extraction going.

Here's another question: Let's say I wanted to designate a stockpile where any created artifacts will go. A secure holding room where I can warehouse  these things until I find a use for them (if I ever do find a use for them, a wooden artifact ring may sit there til the earth swallows me heh). What options do I need to switch on? I looked at the Finished Product heading and it lists qualities. Do I just have to make sure that quality is only set to artifact? Do that and mke sure that anything without a quality is switched off?

Edit: Nevermind I see each one has its own quality setting. Sorry, haven't beeen operating on a lot of slepe lately. Ironically because I've been staying up playing Dwarf Fortress hehe.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:55:18 am by CaptRory »