Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fear the Stars (40d story)  (Read 613 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Fear the Stars (40d story)
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:40 am »

The stars are so beautiful. I wonder what they really are. Holes in the sky? Snow that never fell? Diamonds? The gods' peepholes?

"Rovod! Wha' ye doin' outside this time o' night? Get back in here, we go' diggin' to finish!"

Rovod flinched at this sudden interruption of his musings. He turned, tearing his gaze away from the night sky - his brother Urist was calling him. They were twins, in fact, a very rare event in dwarven life. They had been the first births in their fortress - Greatechoes was little more than a rough-hewn hole in the ground in those early days, and their arrival had been hailed as a good omen.

And now, seventy years later, the two were the head miners of the fort. The King - Limul Stonebeard, third in the history of the current royal family - declared Greatechoes the new capital - the old capital, Hallrung, was bitter about the decision, but began to grudgingly respect Greatechoes as a fine city.

---

Brother came out to watch the stars with me tonight. He claims to not see the beauty in it, but I can tell he's captivated. I don't blame him.

The dawn of the seventy-first year brought with it new miracles. On the first eve, Urist had been taken by grand inspiration - he siezed the masonry station and crafted the most beautiful door anyone had ever laid eyes on. Carved from a single boulder of obsidian with magnificent and bewitching patterns engraved upon the surface, the handles carved of perfectly clear diamonds, inlaid with gold and silver images of triumph and war, framed in steel and studded with dragon bone. This door proudly stood at the entrance to the Royal Throne Room.

What was strange about it was that Urist felt something - an immaterial, inconcievable presence - guiding his hands. He had only the vaguest recollection of the events.

---

My dear Id and baby Deler came to watch the stars today. Deler has his mother's eyes.

Seventy-four years had passed since the founding of Greatechoes. Rovod had found love and married - Id Trumpetboot, a local gem cutter. Their union had produced a son, Deler. The birth was celebrated under the twinkling starlight.

---

watched the stars alone tonight. id and deler don't come with me anymore.

Seventy-nine years. Rovod watched the stars every night.

---

what would it be like to be a star? would it hurt?

"WE FOUND IT! WE FOUND ADAMANTINE!"

---

sometimes i talk to the stars
they never answer

Eighty-nine years. Deler had long since joined the workforce - he was becoming quite the weaponsmith. Rumours told he was soon to be allowed to use the fabled adamantine.

Rovod didn't do much mining anymore.

---

talking to the stars again
they finally answered

Ninety-two years.

A siege.

The biggest siege in history.

Four hundred goblins.

They were met with four hundred dwarves.

Id and Deler were among those drafted.

The battle left no survivors.

And all the while Rovod lay atop the mountain, staring at the sky, waiting for the stars.

---

One hundred years.

the stars are alive
they say
their bodies are the shining in the sky
but their spirits are below
they want to come out
they want to make me a star

i want to be a star

Urist sat down heavily, exhausted from digging through the adamant stone. "By Armok, tha' stuff's bleedin' 'ard!"

Tap.

"Eh?"

Tap.
Drip.

"R-Rovod? Rovod, izzat you?"

Tap.
Drip.

"Rovod, wha' are ye doin' with tha' pi-"

---

Tap.
Drip.

The pick meeting the wall echoed through the tunnels.

Crack.
Crack.
Crack.

The wall gave way.

the star men

Rovod reached out.

theyre here
theyll make ma a star
i want to be a star

A hand, wreathed in flame, reached back.

starmanstarmanmakemeastar
will it
hurt

Sudden heat. But Rovod didn't mind.

i
am i
a star now

The star men walked past him, melting the very stone they stepped on.

it
it hurts
i thou g ht
it w  o ul d

b   u t
 i
don t  m i  n   d

i    m
a s  ta r
n  ow

s o
be  a u tif   ul

Just a little thing. This is why dwarves avoid the open air. It does things to you.
くコ:彡

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fear the Stars (40d story)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:56:21 am »

Don't really know what to say... A great story! If there was a like button, I'd click it. :)
An epic fort, from the sounds of it... I love tracking the individual lives of my dwarves. Well done!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.