Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SOLDIER_COLOR  (Read 377 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
SOLDIER_COLOR
« on: December 19, 2010, 01:06:40 pm »

I thought I'd pooter around in the nobility raws, for although I dislike them, I want to see them, just once, before I send them back into the pit whence they came. however, I keep getting errors related to the SOLDIER_COLOR tag. Did it cease to be a tag at some point?

I rarely touch on the nobility, so it's an area of modding I'm unfamiliar with. If the tag still works, why isn't it? I would simply remove it, but I prefer my nobility in shades of something other than purple, if I am to have them at all.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: SOLDIER_COLOR
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:00:37 pm »

What exactly is the tag you are using, and what exactly is the error message you're getting?

For future reference, this sort of question is better asked in the modding forums, but as long as I'm helping you you might as well keep this one here so I don't get confused.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »

I thought about moving it to the modding forum immediately after posting it, but figured that since it was getting hits every minute, it would be wiser to store it here.

The exact tag I'm using is [SOLDIER_COLOR]. The error message is: MOUNTAIN:Unrecognized Entity Token: SOLDIER_COLOR

As I say, nobility modification is not my strong point. I'm running on dimly remembered tags and old systems.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:05:46 pm »

Alright, that error message leads me to believe that [SOLDIER_COLOR] is not a valid token, even if it needs arguments (if it were valid, I imagine you'd need a 3-digit color token in it). It's not in the string dump or the entity token page on the wiki either (although the string dump doesn't have tags from the last few versions, so it's not that accurate anymore).

EDIT: after looking through the file changes file, I remember where SOLDIER_COLOR came from now. In 31.01 and .02 there was a SOLDIER_COLOR tag without brackets (i.e. commented out) in the entity file, which was one of Toady's notes to himself to add that in later. Since it was confusing people he removed it in 31.03 and just kept it in his personal notes. SOLDIER_COLOR never was in the game, just something that Toady apparently plans to put in at some point. There's little bits like that all over the raws, like the note in the Hammerer raws to fix the hammerer and the note in the Grimeling raws to fix the placeholder body/tissue/material system their so they're actually made out of swamp muck or something.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:13:32 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:09:19 pm »

Ahha! Thank you very much. The Hammerer notice went straight past me as well, but I've seen the creature tags many times. Guess that goes to show that one must be grounded in all of the modding arts.

But screw that, nobles are boring.