Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to "Dig"?  (Read 1887 times)

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
Re: How to "Dig"?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 09:10:25 am »

Some people's bases play themselves, mine is just saving since it reached Autumn... 40 fps from start = hellish time saving.

My computer locks up DF (with the whole "not responding" thing) every time DF saves. Also, it never actually saves my manual saves, so I have to use seasonal change saves if I want to quit. So yeah, forums and IRC are a good way to spend some time.
マグマキッド

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 09:12:35 am »

The nature of the game is such that once a moderately-skilled player has a mature fort the fort will run smoothly without the player's intervention, and slowly enough that said intervention is required only every every few minutes at most. Most palyers, once they get to that point, seem to keep the game windowed and alt-tab to another window while the game runs itself, and often that "other window" happens to be the forums. This, of course, contributes to the speed of responses in most cases, which is pretty awesome

Holy shit, I'm doing that right now...

lol... same.

So am I.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 09:24:18 am »

Some people's bases play themselves, mine is just saving since it reached Autumn... 40 fps from start = hellish time saving.

My computer locks up DF (with the whole "not responding" thing) every time DF saves. Also, it never actually saves my manual saves, so I have to use seasonal change saves if I want to quit. So yeah, forums and IRC are a good way to spend some time.
The "not responding" thing happens because the game simply doesn't respond to the OS because it is occupied. That doesn't mean that it has crashed just that the game is not (as it says) responding. Normally every process should check for such inquiries from the OS every few seconds but it seems as if Toady doesn't care. ;)

I noticed once that the game didn't finish (manual) saving while Dwarf Therapist was running. It stuck during "Unload..." or "Clean..." or whatever it is called. Had to manually terminate the game but was able to recover the save game.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:23 am »

The "not responding" thing happens because the game simply doesn't respond to the OS because it is occupied. That doesn't mean that it has crashed just that the game is not (as it says) responding. Normally every process should check for such inquiries from the OS every few seconds but it seems as if Toady doesn't care. ;)

I noticed once that the game didn't finish (manual) saving while Dwarf Therapist was running. It stuck during "Unload..." or "Clean..." or whatever it is called. Had to manually terminate the game but was able to recover the save game.
Oh, I realize it's working, I just think it's silly that it doesn't check for OS pings. :P

Manual saving "works" in that it exits to the main menu, but it never creates a save file -- it doesn't actually get stuck anywhere, more than the usual DF freezing during save.
マグマキッド

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:44 am »

Ah, okay. Never encountered that problem.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:24 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

have this open while you play, any time you want to do something, type in key words
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Bigtoad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 06:44:05 pm »

I'm also completely new to DF, and I'm suffering from a similar problem.  I can't get my Dwarfs to dig or cut trees.  I've read tons of documentation and gone through the early parts of several tutorials, but nothing seems to help.  I'm up to early summer now and my Dwarfs are still milling about the (now deconstructed) wagon ignoring the picks and axe.  I have designated a number of different spots to dig and trees to cut, and even if I screwed some of them up, some of them HAVE to be accessible.  One of my designated miners has all other jobs disabled besides mining.  I tried defining a burrow which encompasses all of the designated trees and dig sites on multiple Z levels and assigned all the Dwarfs to that burrow.  I've gone through multiple save/restore and labor assignment cycles.

I recently had the wagon deconstructed and designated the picks and axe for dumping, but they are still just lying on the ground being ignored.

So, what am I missing?  I'm about ready to give up and start a new game since all of my reading has highlighted other unrelated problems with my initial start choices, but it would be nice to at least see a little mining done before I start over.

I'm using DF 0.31.18 on Mac OS X.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 06:45:43 pm »

Are your dwarfs doing anything at all? They deconstructed the wagon, right?
*Hugs*

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 07:03:45 pm »

I've had problems saving with multiple regions/fortresses and savescumming. Manual saves would create a save file, but it would just be the seasonal save. Only solution I have is deleting all save files and starting anew, and don't play old fortresses when you have new ones, the game doesn't like time traveling.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Bigtoad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 07:08:29 pm »

Are your dwarfs doing anything at all? They deconstructed the wagon, right?

Yup, they also nicely stacked the wood in the designated location, and quite quickly too.  It looks like my Mule ran away shortly after that.  (I lost my Mule... starting to sound like a country & western song.)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 09:00:03 pm »

Manual saving "works" in that it exits to the main menu, but it never creates a save file -- it doesn't actually get stuck anywhere, more than the usual DF freezing during save.

It wont create a new file, when you choose 'save', whatever folder you opened is saved to, unlike the seasonal backups which create new folders. 
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 11:16:13 pm »

I suggest enabling the tasks for "woodcutting" and "mining" on a couple dwarves.

See if that helps you out some.

Perhaps you didn't start with any dwarves with experience these skills, so none of them have it initially enabled.

You can do a quick check on your dwarves by hitting "v" and then I think "p" and then I think "l".  I do it all automatically now and can never remember what I exactly press...

Plus, I don't have my game running right now.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 04:39:25 am »

Some people's bases play themselves, mine is just ... <snip>

... and in <insert DF world here>, Dwarf Fortress plays YOU!!

Sorry, had to be done
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Bigtoad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 12:08:28 pm »

I suggest enabling the tasks for "woodcutting" and "mining" on a couple dwarves.

See if that helps you out some.

Perhaps you didn't start with any dwarves with experience these skills, so none of them have it initially enabled.

You can do a quick check on your dwarves by hitting "v" and then I think "p" and then I think "l".  I do it all automatically now and can never remember what I exactly press...

Plus, I don't have my game running right now.

I did, indeed, start with dwarfs with no experience in mining, but I had one with experience in woodcutting.  (I did that based on the Quickstart Guide at df.magmawiki.com.)  I also enabled the mining labor for the intended miners and even went so far as to disable all other labors for them.  That didn't help.  They simply wouldn't pick up the picks or axe, not even to move them to the garbage heap after I marked them for dumping.

I have since abandoned that "fortress" and started a new one, this time with mining skill chosen for two miners.  My miners and woodcutter have immediately gotten to work.  I noticed another recent thread about items that couldn't be picked up, and that seems to be a common theme in other forum threads too - I think there is some sort of bug involved that prevents dwarfs from picking up certain items.
Pages: 1 [2]