Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starving and dehydrated  (Read 359 times)

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starving and dehydrated
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:32 am »

What's the current thinking on give-food and give-water jobs? My fort, Certaintomb, is about eight years old now, and so far I've had two jailed dwarves and three hospitalized dwarves die of thirst. I've got a functioning well, like two dozen empty buckets, and two "nurse" dwarves with no labors turned on except "feed patients/prisoners" and "recover wounded," but they just don't seem to be doing it.

I never get any "cancels give water" jobs. I see dwarves with blinking blue and brown arrows in hospital, but when I check the jobs list I don't see any give food or give water jobs waiting in the queue.

Most recently I've tried making my hospital a meeting area, on the off chance that a dwarf needs to be in some kind of proximity to the hungry and the thirsty in order for the jobs to kick off. So far, it hasn't worked. I've still got hungry and thirsty patients … although admittedly, none of them have died yet, so maybe it's working after a fashion. Or maybe it's just a matter of time.

Are there any — and believe me, I hate this term — "best practices" around this? Any tricks for keeping your hospitalized dwarves fed and hydrated?

Hmm. Maybe if I figure out the first thing about modding the game, I'll think of a way to mod in TPN and IVs.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
Re: Starving and dehydrated
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:18:37 am »

are dwarves busy doing something else? (i.e. sleeping)
i like goats

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:26:19 am »

I try to make a Nurse dorf. Ones who job is to recover wounded, cleaning, and doing the feeding and watering.

Though, in my experience, that doesn't always work either.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:40:38 am »

My fort's economy is based around prepared meals, so at times — when the harvest comes in, basically — I have very few idlers. But the rest of the time, everybody's pretty much just hanging out. The population's 118 right now, so I rarely have fewer than about 15 or 20 idlers even at the busiest times.

Since I set my hospital to be a meeting area, it seems like feed/water jobs are getting done with more regularity than before. Or maybe that's just confirmation bias on my part. My hospitalized dwarves are virtually always either hungry or thirsty, but I haven't seen any starving or dehydrated (or both!) ones for about a season.

I also just tried changing the raw files in my save folder to up the dwarves' healing rate for bone damage, and to give them a non-zero healing rate for nerve damage, just to see if they get better. I'd just euthanize the bedridden to make room for new able-bodied immigrants, but they're best friends with everybody. Last time I tried doing that it kicked off a tantrum spiral, and I unapologetically savescummed.

I'm not opposed to keeping them around as mascots, making them honorary fortress guards or whatever. But since they're so beloved, I'd prefer they not die of neglect.