Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern denizen problems.  (Read 730 times)

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Cavern denizen problems.
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:38:59 pm »

Hello. I have a bit of a troglodyte.... problem. They're just too many of them. My Crack squad militia can only take on so many at a time. (Even with the Martial Recruit) What should I do? Also: Trolls. Several trolls. And other things. My main question, is, should I risk sending a hammer dorf, two spear dorfs, and the Martial Axe Recruit into the caves and risk their death at the hands of 20 trogs and 6 trolls?
Also, I have an open path to a lower cavern level. Should I send them down there to fight the Giant Toads I've seen down there?

Ps: The Martial Axe Recruit causes Martial Trance spam. Seriously, he's kinda creepy. Four kills to his name: I think that's more than the rest of my Militia, too. Even a Dwarf kill on that list from a failed mood berserker.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern denizen problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »

Repeating spike traps or cage traps should work, you'll probably have to use someone as bait.
*Hugs*

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:51:45 pm »

Traps everywhere. Weapons are pretty good, but they can jam. Cage traps can take almost anything, but can only be used once and you're stuck with a creature you're not sure what to do with, stone traps are a dime a dozen and you can place plenty. That's if you're not interested in going down there, if you do I would suggest carving fortifications on the natural rock and shooting through at them, but you have no good marksdwarfs.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:08:10 pm »

Okay, I just decided to send my squad out to own them. It worked, mostly. Until I decided to make them attack a herd of Draltha for combat XP. Somehow, one of them ripped my Hammer Dwarf's chest open, and broke his left hand, making him drop his hammer. Being the badass he is, he BIT THE DRALTHA'S LEG OFF, and then began limping for the hospital. Will he survive? He's not bleeding, but he is in extreme pain, pale, and constantly losing consciousness.
His stats are:
"He is Mighty, very agile, rarely sick, and quick to heal"
"His Second Finger, right hand is broken. His second finger, right hand is smashed open. His Upper Body is Torn open. His left hand is broken. His left wrist is broken."
"Pale -- Ability to grasp somewhat impaired"
"Pale -- Extreme Pain -- Unconscious"

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 07:18:47 pm »

Okay, I just decided to send my squad out to own them. It worked, mostly. Until I decided to make them attack a herd of Draltha for combat XP. Somehow, one of them ripped my Hammer Dwarf's chest open, and broke his left hand, making him drop his hammer. Being the badass he is, he BIT THE DRALTHA'S LEG OFF, and then began limping for the hospital. Will he survive? He's not bleeding, but he is in extreme pain, pale, and constantly losing consciousness.
His stats are:
"His Second Finger, right hand is broken. His second finger, right hand is smashed open. His Upper Body is Torn open. His left hand is broken. His left wrist is broken."

Do you have soap? Threads? Docors? His chest has been ripped open after all...
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »

His stats are:

Do you have soap? Threads? Docors? His chest has been ripped open after all...

Threads, yes, Chief Med dwarf, yes, Suturer, yes, Diagnostician, yes, But no soap. Do you still need clear glass vials for soap making workshops like in 40d?

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 07:25:55 pm »

No, you don't.

Soap is needed to get red of infection and that can kill dwarves. You need a barrel of lye. Unfortunatly that's a bit of a problem as lye is made in buckets, the other ingriednets anre easy.

Trust me, I'm a doctor drunk.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »

Bad news everyone! The surgery, cleaning, ect. Was completed before I could make soap. He's now up and walking around, in the direction of the booze stockpile. Will he get infected guaranteed? This guy is my best military dorf. He's got about as many killed as the rest of them combined.
Also, when do they remove sutures/splints?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »

toss a coin, he might get lucky.  infections happen sometimes even with soap, its just life.  not sure they remove sutures, which sucks when they get cottoncandy ones from an overzealous Doc
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.