Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven bathhouse?  (Read 10061 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven bathhouse?
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:36:52 pm »

So I'm knee-deep in starting up my newest fort, and I'm doing my best to plan everything ahead as much as possible. After a fiasco with the farms, I decided to take a break from that and try to focus on doing something new - like giving my dwarves a place to clean themselves up from time to time.

Now as I've read it, all dwarves need is basically a small pool of water and they'll clean themselves whenever they feel the urge to do so. I've also read that soap is not essential to this process, and that over time, the pools will become cesspools of filth that's been washed from the dwarves. With the risk of infection, as well as the aesthetic of not wanting long trails of blood and vomit being tracked all over my fort, is there any way to essentially create a "bathhouse" that:

1) dwarves can clean themselves at easily and of their own accord (ie, without me making them go in and pull the 'shower' lever)
2) automatically clears the filth out so that dwarves have clean water to bathe in
3) won't drown too many dwarves
4) isn't too insanely complicated
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven bathhouse?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:39:33 pm »

A 4/7 pool, and when it gets icky, you could use a lever to wash it up.

Pehaps make it on a river,and make the "flush" mechinism rely on the river and floodgates?

Just my two cents.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:45:38 pm »

Lever 1 allows the room to fill from the aquifer in seconds.
Lever 2 allows the water to disappear into a giant hole that goes off screen.

Hell, with aquifers you could have a permanently running shower.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 07:47:48 pm »

And permanently running !!FUN!! provider if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »

my idea was essentially this:

Below the "bathhouse" level, I'd essentially carve out an artificial river. It would start at the brook, and drain into the caverns.
The bathhouse level would basically be build directly overtop, but there would be an "indentation" that dips down into the artificial river. Ramps would allow for easy entry and exit, and fortifications would allow the water to flow through but without carrying in junk from outside and without carrying out any dwarves. Thoughts?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:09:49 pm »

Your dwarves may drown that way, but I don't see any problem.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:08:47 pm »

Your dwarves may drown that way, but I don't see any problem.

hmm...perhaps if I make sure that the width of the artificial river is sufficient to keep the water level below a certain depth, that would help?

What depth does water need to be for dwarves to use it to clean themselves, and what depth is "drowning depth?"

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 09:14:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure anything more than 4 is drowning depth.

Actually, I am working on a similar project, only mine is a shower/waterfall that happens in the entranceway to the fort rather than a bath, but the problem I am encountering (aside from trees in my pipes) is that the filth just accumulates on the floor grates rather than be washed down to the caverns.

Anyone got any suggestions here?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 12:21:50 am »

Well if you are awesome you can create a contraption that will push them over a ledge when they are headed to some party or whatnot and then they fall into water that pushes them a few tiles to where the water level is lower and they've got to fight the current to get to the ramp out.

One guy did that in a tower in his Winterfell megaproject, though he made separate threads so you had to recognize the stonesense images to catch that.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.