Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't pick up dropped friendly/enemy gear  (Read 7572 times)

module0000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't pick up dropped friendly/enemy gear
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:27:55 pm »

I searched but can't find an answer for what seems like a newbie problem I am having.

After several ambushes, my courtyard is full of dead goblin and dead dwarf gear(clothing, weapons, etc). I can't get my dwarves to pick any of it up and bring it in! A few things I did that I thought would bring it in:

1. I used d-b-c, and all the items are set to "Claim"
2. I have stockpiles for the weapons/armor, and they are not full
3. There are no burrow alerts keeping dwarves out of that area

What am I missing?

EDIT: I have this problem all over my fortress now as well.. several enemy/friendly items not forbidden just lying around and no one will pick them up and put them in their piles.
EDIT: I can get them to take the items to a dump zone, but even when I un-forbid them and remove the dump zone they won't bring the items to bins(or melt them, etc)

ps: version 31.18
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:58:50 pm by module0000 »

raiker123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't pick up dropped enemy gear
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:57:21 pm »

sorry if this is an obvious question, but are you sure there are dwarves that aren't doing anything available?

module0000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:05:11 pm »

sorry if this is an obvious question, but are you sure there are dwarves that aren't doing anything available?

Yes, there are several idle who will pick up any other task given to them...they just won't pickup the dead goblins/dwarves gear.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 04:12:34 pm »

did you check orders refuse outside stuff  (o-r-o) incase you try do dump away the claimed stuff .. maybe the outside setting affects the standard collection as well

module0000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:22:09 pm »

did you check orders refuse outside stuff  (o-r-o) incase you try do dump away the claimed stuff .. maybe the outside setting affects the standard collection as well

Yes I did, that made them pick up the corpses of the dwarves/goblins outside, but they are still ignoring the piles of equipment they left

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't pick up dropped friendly/enemy gear
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 05:09:26 pm »

If the goblin/merchant dropped items aren't being moved to a stockpile, I find that the number 1 reason is generally that some dwarf has "claimed" the item for themselves, but not bothered to actually go get it. The number 2 reason is that people aren't idling enough close enough to the items in question. Number 3 is that it is forbidden or tasked to do something. Number 4 is that it is outside allowed burrows. Other than that, it could be a rare pathing issue, which will not reoccur when I exit DF and then start it again.

When it is none of those, it means there's something to be hauled BEFORE those items in the general queue, and you'll just have to wait for your haulers to grab all that stuff and put it away before they'll get around to your new goblin donated items.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:39 pm »

Is the feature for "ignore death items" still in the game?  I remember that being the default setting under options.  In fact, I should look to see right now.

o then F, then look at your options.  Enable "claim other dead" and "claim other death items" as well as "claim your dead" and "claim your death items".

I'm not sure if you've already covered that or not...

I've found that by doing this, it clears up some of the problem.  It does snag some of the items (even if they aren't forbidden to begin with).  Sometimes changing the default clicks something in the dwarven heads and they go gather it.

Othertimes, they're just stupid and don't want to collect it.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

module0000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:20:09 pm »

If the goblin/merchant dropped items aren't being moved to a stockpile, I find that the number 1 reason is generally that some dwarf has "claimed" the item for themselves, but not bothered to actually go get it. The number 2 reason is that people aren't idling enough close enough to the items in question. Number 3 is that it is forbidden or tasked to do something. Number 4 is that it is outside allowed burrows. Other than that, it could be a rare pathing issue, which will not reoccur when I exit DF and then start it again.

When it is none of those, it means there's something to be hauled BEFORE those items in the general queue, and you'll just have to wait for your haulers to grab all that stuff and put it away before they'll get around to your new goblin donated items.

The bit about dwarves having "claimed" them sounds like it could be it. Not all of my dwarves have hauling enabled, there are about a dozen(crafters) that don't. Maybe they "claimed" the item, and that is why other dwarves won't grab them?

EDIT: That didn't work either..I enabled item hauling on every single dwarf, and they still won't touch it =(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:32:03 pm by module0000 »

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:11 pm »

The bit about dwarves having "claimed" them sounds like it could be it. Not all of my dwarves have hauling enabled, there are about a dozen(crafters) that don't. Maybe they "claimed" the item, and that is why other dwarves won't grab them?

EDIT: That didn't work either..I enabled item hauling on every single dwarf, and they still won't touch it =(

What people mean when they say dwarves are "claiming" items is that the dwarf has said (metaphorically) "that silk sock belongs to me now, your alcohol-stained fingers shall not defile it" and it will never move unless that dwarf puts in a cabinet or something in their room (or magma is applied). They can't claim weapons or armor though, only civilian clothing.

Use "k" to look at the stuff and see if it says "owned by Urist McPackrat" in the item description menu. If it does, then there's your problem. If not then I don't know, double check your stockpiles?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:08:08 am »

yeah i see this a lot.  if you got individual rooms then adding a cabinet will often cause a huge wave of people picking up socks and shoes and crap they abandoned, often right on the map edge when arriving as a migrant
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

module0000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 11:40:58 am »

UPDATE: Chakling this up to a weird bug/anomaly..those 7 or 8 weapons/armor that I can't get anyone to pick up are still sitting there.  However dwarves are picking up newly dropped stuff outside with complaint now.  Who knows?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 09:13:41 pm »

Module, did you check to see if you have enough room for them, in your weapon stockpile, or if your weapon stockpile refuses that type of weapon?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 07:12:30 pm »

Weapons and armor COULD have been claimed by your military dwarves, but they are just slow to go get them. Check to see if they are owned by anyone.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!