Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pus/vomit bug?  (Read 1910 times)

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pus/vomit bug?
« on: December 17, 2010, 08:06:48 am »

I can't believe I'm asking this, but … is it possible that in my fortress, vomit is bugged to show up as pus?

Little backstory: Once upon a time, my dwarves' pets were afflicted by a peculiar syndrome. It caused them to ooze pus, but only outdoors, and it was never fatal. (I'm aware that there's a bug going around that causes things to be immortal until the game is saved and reloaded, but I've done that many times.) The wading ponds at my fort entrances seemed to solve the problem, so I just forgot about it.

Just now, I had some ambush activity: two kobold ambushes and three goblin ambushes. I sent the army out to deal with it … and lo and behold a bunch of them left shining yellow trails of "dwarf pus." But their thoughts include "was nauseated by the sun lately," which implies cave adaptation, so I'd expect to see a world of vomit everywhere, rather than a world of pus.

Is there any plausible reason why my fort would be showing pus where it should be showing vomit?

I'm really, really sorry for having to ask.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Pus/vomit bug?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 08:42:15 am »

Why are you sorry for asking? seems like a reasonable question ...  :o

hmmm .. unless i'm mistaken it should show up in the combat log when your dwarves vomit due to cave adaption. if you make them go outside and watch the combat log and indeed they are supposed to vomit ... then you have a bug.

or they've been eating the pus left by the animals  :-\
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:52:42 am »

It's a reasonable question in Dwarf Fortress, yeah.  ;)

I don't see anything relevant in the logs. As an experiment, I just created an outdoor burrow and restricted the whole fortress to it. A couple of the dwarves who came out left amazing streaks of pus wherever they went. I checked their inventory, and in addition to their all-over water covering (from walking through the wading pool at the entrance) they were also covered with "a spatter of so-n-so's dwarf pus," including in places like the liver and the lungs. I followed one in particular back inside, and he kept his pus but didn't track it anywhere, possibly because spatter-spread is off by default in the config file and I haven't turned it on.

So it seems maybe a few of my dwarves do have a disease of some kind, but none of them seem impaired, and they're not listed in the health screen as having an infection. And this has been going on for about four years, in-game, so it hardly seems life-threatening.

Any suggestions? Or should I just ignore it?

Gilgameshclone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:02:35 am »

Ignore it?  This is Dwarf Fortress, weaponize it! 

Not that I can imagine how, hrm.  Maybe you can mod the dwarf puss with a low boiling point so the dwarfs vomit boiling pus all over their enemies, cooking them in some kind of pus stew.  Of course the dwarfs would have to be immune.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 09:38:19 am »

Not that I can imagine how, hrm.  Maybe you can mod the dwarf puss with a low boiling point so the dwarfs vomit boiling pus all over their enemies, cooking them in some kind of pus stew.  Of course the dwarfs would have to be immune.

If he put the dwarves on a fixed temperature, like nethercaps maybe?
I have an art blog now.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:46:47 am »

Weaponizing pus

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:53:45 am »

Weaponizing pus

Nice.

For those who don't know, oglaf.com is a hilarious comic that is VERY NSFW but this particular page is cool.
I have an art blog now.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:28:11 am »

Hmmmm. I wonder if it'd be possible to mod the dwarf pus to be deadly infectious to goblins, while leaving the dwarves and their animals immune? What I know about modding could fit in a teacup and leave room for tea, so I can't even guess. But knowing this game? Probably.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 12:34:07 pm »

Only on Dwarf Fortress can there EVEN be glitches involving pus and vomit.  :-\

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:38:22 pm »

Hmmmm. I wonder if it'd be possible to mod the dwarf pus to be deadly infectious to goblins, while leaving the dwarves and their animals immune? What I know about modding could fit in a teacup and leave room for tea, so I can't even guess. But knowing this game? Probably.

Definitely possible. just add a contact syndrome that only works on goblins, and voila: goblinbane pus

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 02:55:46 pm »

replace everything with goblinbane! :D now dwarves dont just vomit it .. they bleed it!
I have an art blog now.