Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Everyone get inside!"--am I missing something?  (Read 1059 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Everyone get inside!"--am I missing something?
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:50:20 am »

Okay, I've got so much crap strewn across my map now that I have to let dwarves roam free, then assign them to a burrow whenever an ambush comes.

So far, I've only been able to do this by manually assigning all 60-80 dwarves down the list, then unassigning them after.

Is there a way I could designate that burrow and go 'click-click, everyone get the F inside!'

Aside from Urist McWanderlust and friends, the few that always refuse to stay in the burrow anyway...
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
Re: "Everyone get inside!"--am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:52:51 am »

I think under [m]military -> [a]lerts you can assign all civilians to a certain burrow in times of eminent fun.

Skadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:32:49 am »

If you press [m] military then [a] alerts then you can make an new alert where you assign all civilians to a burrow.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:34:48 am »

When assigning civilians to a burrow directly, you need to remember that the burrow does not specifically restrict movement to the burrow's confines. That's what military alerts are for. Civilian burrows restrict what buildings and jobs dwarves involve themselves with. As an example, a recent fortress of mine had two masons; however, the dome I was building was being constructed in such a way that if more than one mason worked on it, holes would be left in the wall. To prevent this, I assigned each mason to a burrow, one where the construction was taking place, and the other in the mason workshops where I had jobs that needed doing. Both burrows included their bedrooms and the dining hall and stockpiles.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 01:30:00 pm »

To be fair it would be hard to set up burrows that gave the many reason to run around outside.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »

Burrows are something I never understood. My first experience with burrows was to put migrants on a retractable bridge. (I was doing a Crazed Cultist-sort of embark)

Only problem was that I also wanted my Expedition Leader to pull the nearby lever, so I assigned him to a separate burrow.

After the deed was done, I removed the burrows, but the Expedition Leader simply stayed there, as if the burrow was still in effect.
There was nothing in Alerts and the burrow wasn't listed.

He was forever stuck there until he starved.

Since then, I've stayed way and away from them. I have yet to be brave enough to do it again.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:40:04 pm »

When assigning civilians to a burrow directly, you need to remember that the burrow does not specifically restrict movement to the burrow's confines.

Thank you so much for that! I had no idea civs would still path between burrow areas without my also painting all the pathing inbetween as well.  I've been meticulously painting the hallways and the 20-30 z-levels of stairs between workshops and dining halls and rooms all this time.  This is going to save me so much trouble!

To clarify, setting all civilians to a specific burrow via the military alert screen does completely restrict them to the painted confines of the burrow and they won't path between different sections, correct?

--nomad_delta