Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bucket brigade won't use salt water.  (Read 536 times)

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bucket brigade won't use salt water.
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:17:19 am »

That is so unfair! I simpply can't designate saltwater aquifer as a water source. So dwarfs can't even use it to create mud for farming with buckets. It's very frustraiting in freezing climate.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bucket brigade won't use salt water.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:22:13 am »

yeah its sucky.  salt water can go in buckets, I know since a well over salt water results in salty water buckets.  You can also directly apply salt water for your mud.

the problem is with designating a water collection zone over salt water :(

even your aquifer is salty?  man that sucks, better get cracking on a lined reservoir and desal. pump :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:31:09 am »

even your aquifer is salty?  man that sucks, better get cracking on a lined reservoir and desal. pump :)
Yes, a good chance to practice my desalination system construction skills.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:01:39 am »

yeah its sucky.  salt water can go in buckets, I know since a well over salt water results in salty water buckets.  You can also directly apply salt water for your mud.

the problem is with designating a water collection zone over salt water :(

In my experience any region tile (that is, those in the middle panel during embark selection) within one square of the coast will have salt water, and that counts for every body of sourced water: ocean, river, aquifer and all. Usually if I'm farming I'll just go in for irrigation systems instead of trying to desalinate, but sometimes even that's not an option.

And if you want fun, try having your only source of water a frozen ocean on the edge of the map. Fun times.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."