Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs wont use weapons to spar  (Read 534 times)

MadeThisAccountForOneQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dorfs wont use weapons to spar
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:53:04 pm »

so im trying to get my dorfs to spar with hammers but all they do is stand around the barracks and look at eachother. (im working with 40d)

ive made sure they have them assigned via the (w)eapons menu and i made sure they were all carrying a hammer, if i unassign hammers they will wrestle but as soon as i give them hammers they dont.

where is my hammer time?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs wont use weapons to spar
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:24:05 pm »

I think they need to have a certain level of skill in the weapon their using before they'll start to spar with them. Think about it, if you're going to start sparing with someone using a hammer, you want them to know how to use it at least well enough to not accidently bash your skull in when they hit.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

MadeThisAccountForOneQ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:03:18 pm »

I think they need to have a certain level of skill in the weapon their using before they'll start to spar with them. Think about it, if you're going to start sparing with someone using a hammer, you want them to know how to use it at least well enough to not accidently bash your skull in when they hit.

well is there a way to raise their skill without sparring? should i hold goblin arena matches or something?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:07:30 pm »

Individual combat drills (which will look like a militia dwarf standing around doing nothing) will very slowly raise the weapon skill, along with other combat skills. Danger rooms can raise the skill, as they'll get experience in it for every time the parry a spear from it. Otherwise, stripping enemies of equipment can be useful as you suggested.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 04:39:41 pm »

Individual combat drills (which will look like a militia dwarf standing around doing nothing) will very slowly raise the weapon skill, along with other combat skills. Danger rooms can raise the skill, as they'll get experience in it for every time the parry a spear from it. Otherwise, stripping enemies of equipment can be useful as you suggested.

Read the original post more closely:

so im trying to get my dorfs to spar with hammers but all they do is stand around the barracks and look at eachother. (im working with 40d)

As for the answer, were your soldiers training Wrestling at any point? If so, they're probably still holding onto clothing they've wrestled off of each other - you'll need to make them drop it (which I believe can be done by setting their armor level to "Cloth" and dumping any backpacks they happen to have in their hands) before they'll be able to use their weapons.

Beware, though, that hammerdwarves and macedwarves in 40d are especially prone to getting spinal injuries during sparring which will cause them to never spar again.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.