Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage Traps and Flying Creatures  (Read 3997 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage Traps and Flying Creatures
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:20:16 pm »

So I'm hanging out in the mountains, and as per my usual method, I've set up some cage traps randomly around the map to nab clumsy attackers and or random wildlife (for the kitchens or as pets for my dungeon master, haven't quite decided yet).

Now, I occasionally have a Giant Eagle flying around over head, but thus far, it has yet to do anything but flit around in the sky.  How can I trap him and love him and cuddle him and call him George?

40d, if it's relevant.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Cage Traps and Flying Creatures
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:23:27 pm »

Basically the only way to get the bastard in a cage is make sure your cage traps have a ceiling immediately over them, and wait for the eagles to come visit your fortress. Flying creatures don't avoid traps as long as there isn't another z-level they can move to.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:39:15 pm »

Slightly related
On maps with buzzards, a single tile outdoor food stockpile surrounded by corkscrew traps and a roof over it results in infinite bird meat

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:25:29 pm »

Slightly related
On maps with buzzards, a single tile outdoor food stockpile surrounded by corkscrew traps and a roof over it results in infinite bird meat

I just laughed out loud, congrats
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »

You can also put a cage trap on every tile outside your fort.
And then, construct a ramp outside, and start flooring the entire +1 Z level. After you finish the flooring, place cage traps all over the sky. Construct another ramp and repeat till you caged god.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »

Slightly related

I use cage traps, and thus I have MY INDOMITABLE BUZZARD ARMY.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:14 pm »

Basically the only way to get the bastard in a cage is make sure your cage traps have a ceiling immediately over them, and wait for the eagles to come visit your fortress. Flying creatures don't avoid traps as long as there isn't another z-level they can move to.
You sure? I swear that I saw a giant eagle land on a cage trap and get caught in it. No, there was no roof over the trap.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:53 pm »

It's hard that way.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:10:49 pm »

It's hard that way.

Buzzards adore landing on my cage traps for some reason. I've got a 2x2 pillar that I built above the volcano, with two retracting bridges attached to it. There are four cage traps on the available squares, and so far I've caught at least eight buzzards in them..

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 11:54:04 pm »

The general animal catcher design is basically a + of walls with the very middle tile open and cage traps near it. Roofing it should help with fliers somewhat but isn't entirely necessary. If you chain up a kitten or something you can lure in more aggressive stuff instead of just hoping it wanders in.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.