Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping Stuff  (Read 891 times)

beefforyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dropping Stuff
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »

Hello,
I just started playing Dwarf Fortress, and I'm so far enjoying it. But, I was curious as to how I could drop stuff. I don't mean as in stockpiles, I mean as in throwing goblins off of 20 z-level high towers. And throwing objects/enemies into magma, for example.

Thanks, Nic

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping Stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:06:30 pm »

If you designate a garbage dump (using the 'i' menu) next to an open space I believe it makes dwarves throw dump-designated objects into the open space - as for enemies, I'm pretty sure it's something similar to that, and I know it's possible, however I'm not exactly sure of the process.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:11:43 pm »

For creatures, it's similar. Create a zone over open space, but is adjacent to walkable ground. Press p to mark as a pit/pond. Press P to open information, and select the creature you want in the pit, as you would for a cage.

beefforyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »

Thank you.

I actually figured it out myself  :) But I still don't know how to throw enemies. Oh, and when I try and make a dump into a pond, everything except for "pit/pond" is grayed out when using the zones menu.

Edit: Oh okay, thanks for the help guys.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »

For garbage dumps you have to make them on floors, and as long as there is open space next to the floor they will throw the items into the open space.

beefforyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:23:39 pm »

Okay, so I guess I could make some magma 2 z levels down or something. And off topic (though I should probably post it in the bugs forum), whenever I restart and get into the embark menu, more and more items aren't available (such as cave lobsters, plump helmets etc.), and when I try and re-add them, they're not in the list.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »

If there are multiple dwarven civilizations in your world it sometimes randomly picks one on embark - sometimes the other civilizations don't have access to the same items or materials as other civilizations.

beefforyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:27:54 pm »

Well, I mean I back up my map before I embark, and when I want to restart, I delete the folder and replace it with the one I backed up (which may make me qualified as a noob, but I don't care  :D). I saved an embark setup (or whatever you call it) and when I use it, the items are gone.

Edit: I restarted again and most of the items were there, but the Lobsters and two other items were still gone.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:52 pm »

It's probably still choosing a random civilization for you to use. You can check by hitting tab a couple of times while choosing where to embark and noting what your civilization is called, and then comparing them and whatnot.

beefforyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:47:48 pm »

Okay. One last question. Can you choose what material to use when making stuff like floodgates?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »

Okay. One last question. Can you choose what material to use when making stuff like floodgates?

Not directly, the only way to guarentee a given material is to make a room with a lockable door, containing a workshop and a stockpile of the stone you want to use. order the item you want made, lock the door when a craftsman steps inside, they'll be forced to use the stone they have access to.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

beefforyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 09:59:35 pm »

Okay. Maybe something Toady should add eventually.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 10:04:14 pm »

A simpler way is to make a stockpile restricted to the material you want to use and place it near the workshop. When crafting, dwarves will try and take the closest available material.

This means closest to the dwarf the instant they decide to take the job, not closest to the workshop. But for repeatedly making something, you can see how this works.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:32:47 pm »

Can you choose what material to use when making stuff like floodgates?
Only if you're using metal or glass, and those materials come with their own annoyances.

'Closest' is decided by pure distance. If there's a rock at the other end of the room ten tiles away horizontally and a rock five tiles away vertically, the dwarf will pick the second rock even if it means walking through several mineshafts and a cavern. If you have the room, put your stockpiles above and below workshops instead of on the same z-level.

The really annoying part is that the game can already alter perceived distance. There are options in the init file to encourage seed-hauling dwarves to see occupied seed bags as being closer than empty bags.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.