Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you play with?

ASCII
Graphic pack

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Graphics (or lack of) Poll  (Read 3301 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics (or lack of) Poll
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »

While you guys get that sorted, I'll go and suggest multiplayer. In the general forum.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2010, 09:48:56 pm »

I used a graphics pack for the majority of my overall time with DF (got started back in 40d with the tutorial that came with Mayday's pack), but for the past few months have switched over to ASCII and have gotten used to it to the point I prefer it, doubt I'll go back to another pack unless they update it so they can have different graphics tiles for every unit.

No mods normally, I do have Kobald Kamp and Fortress Defense, but both of those more seem like other 'versions' then a Mod of DF.

-MB

peterlol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2010, 12:38:42 am »

I find ASCII really difficult to use. Graphics<3 ;)
Let the tides pull me in and wash away the filth
Saturate the pores and clean out all of the guilt
Let the ocean devour the towers that I've built

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 01:16:06 am »

I have been using ASCII since 2010 released.  I was using Mayday's graphics pack back in 40d, but when everything changed, the first few releases were only showing graphics for miners and everyone else was a single generic, so I stopped using it. (I'm sure it's all fixed now, but I've been using ascii for long enough I might as well continue)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2010, 04:17:39 am »

My new computer is being weird about tile sets and graphics packs. I'm probably going to stick with ANSII or one of the ANSII-style tilesets on the wiki, if I can get one which isn't pitifully small, or has pink backgrounds (wtf transparency glitch).
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2010, 07:05:09 am »

ASCII, Honestly. i tried a graphics pack (the one in the Lazy Newb pack), and the characters were just too big. I'm on a laptop (With a 1280x800 screen, no less), so i need every pixel of usable screen space i can get.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

rampaging-poet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2010, 11:49:29 am »

Definitely ASCII.  I tried using a couple different graphics sets, but everything that I liked the look of was too small and I had difficulty telling different creatures apart.  It may not look as pretty, but at least 16 by 16 ASCII is readable.
Lame excuse? 'Having a drink instead' is the dwarfiest reason to not get something done, short of accidentally flooding your home with magma. Or intentionally flooding your home with magma.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2010, 02:53:05 pm »

My post from the last time this poll came up.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71341.msg1740994#msg1740994

My position is the same now as it was last month.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 12:46:15 pm »

I use Mayday's graphics. I've played a roguelike before (ADoM) and liked its ASCII simplicity, but for DF I do prefer to look at something a little less abstract.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]