Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospitals, how to stock the buggers?  (Read 930 times)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospitals, how to stock the buggers?
« on: December 15, 2010, 02:13:08 am »

I have plenty of everything around my fortress, but the dwarves refuse to stock up my hospital. Currently it is a zone with 7 beds and nothing else. Tracting benches are being made as we speak. How do I get to store crutches/plaster/thread in my hospital? Is there a designation for it?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals, how to stock the buggers?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 02:22:46 am »

I have plenty of everything around my fortress, but the dwarves refuse to stock up my hospital. Currently it is a zone with 7 beds and nothing else. Tracting benches are being made as we speak. How do I get to store crutches/plaster/thread in my hospital? Is there a designation for it?

I am almost certain that you need some chests or sacks to be stocked.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 02:27:26 am »

And how can I designate these?
I am really helpless here XD First play since 40d :)

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:36:25 am »

(b)uilding -> (h)container, then place somewhere in the confines of your hospital area. Cabinets might work too, but I'm not sure. I usually use coffers.

Be warned, there is a bug with cast application (done when bone setters have access to plaster and cloth) in which the bone setter will attempt to get water to mix with the plaster, then just bug out there at the well until you forbid their bucket. It's better to not supply hospitals with plaster, or forbid all plaster powder. Use splints instead. Supposedly any break that can have a cast applied can also use a splint.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 02:39:59 am »

(b)uilding -> (h)container, then place somewhere in the confines of your hospital area. Cabinets might work too, but I'm not sure. I usually use coffers.

Be warned, there is a bug with cast application (done when bone setters have access to plaster and cloth) in which the bone setter will attempt to get water to mix with the plaster, then just bug out there at the well until you forbid their bucket. It's better to not supply hospitals with plaster, or forbid all plaster powder. Use splints instead. Supposedly any break that can have a cast applied can also use a splint.
Thanks, i'll do that right away!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 06:46:32 am »

I've always used custom stockpiles.  One for thread and cloth, another for soap and splints and powder and whatever else I'm forgetting.  Do storage containers work, though?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 08:44:53 am »

Storage containers are required.  Custom stockpiles don't actually work.  Your dwarves will put the hospital supplies in the stockpiles,  but the supplies won't count as being in the hospital, even if the stockpiles are physically located inside the hospital zone.  Build several dozen chests/coffers/boxes in the hospital zone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:35:43 am »

My hospitals are usually set up with at least 30 coffers/boxes, often in large storage rooms flanking the hospital.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:59:55 am »

My hospitals are usually set up with at least 30 coffers/boxes, often in large storage rooms flanking the hospital.

Do you really need that much?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:41 am »

It's hard to say how much you need, since dwarves don't seem to respect any caps you set on how much stuff to store in the hospital.  Mine seem to just keep putting any cloth and thread and soap they can grab in there so long as there are free coffers.  I like to make a lot of excess coffers for the hospital to make sure there's enough room to store the soap once I get around to making some.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:08 am »

the real question is, how do you get them to not store adamantine threads in the hospital?  I've always had to forbid those in the coffer until all the patients were gone. then unforbid and order them for smelting.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 11:15:58 am »

Stocking a hospital is not strictly necessary - while items in the hospital are restricted for health care, health care is not restricted to using items in the hospital. The only advantages are reducing travel time for your doctors (so they don't have to walk all the way to your cloth/thread stockpiles), material reservation (so your craftsdwarves don't use up all of your thread and cloth), and getting around the soap bug ("Urist cancels Clean Self: Area inaccessible").

The problem with materials being overstocked stems from the game generating as many "Store Item in Hospital" jobs as it possibly can, based on how much room is available in your coffers, without considering how many jobs it's actually queued up - if your hospital is short by 1 unit of cloth and there's enough coffer space for 20 units, it'll generate 20 tasks to store cloth in the hospital, but if it's fully stocked up on cloth then it won't try to store any more.

The problem with making casts is that medical dwarves don't know how to gather water - if you have a full bucket lying around the fortress (and you will, since dwarves are stupid and will give water to anybody who is thirsty, even if they're currently drinking from a barrel of booze), you can trick your bone doctor into using it by forbidding all other empty buckets.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:17:55 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 12:24:06 pm »

Maybe, but 8-10 is a good number to get a small hospital fully stocked.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 01:23:00 pm »

Because of the bug Quietust mentions above you also want to place your coffers in batches.  Adding 20-30 coffers all at once just results in your cloth stockpile migrating.  add em in batches to be more respectful with quotas (and helps ensure theres space for soap/splints)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 03:43:43 pm »

Because of the bug Quietust mentions above you also want to place your coffers in batches.  Adding 20-30 coffers all at once just results in your cloth stockpile migrating.  add em in batches to be more respectful with quotas (and helps ensure theres space for soap/splints)
I lol'd  :P
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.