Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working with Ice  (Read 345 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Working with Ice
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:03 am »

So on my glacier fortress I'm looking to construct a large dome over my fort entrance, channeling out the surrounding ice for building materials. I have a perimeter wall set up that will be the base of the dome, with bridges at the cardinal directions for lockdowns. I'd like to keep it close for safety's sake on the offchance some blizzard man shows up or somesuch, but I need to move the ice inside. I've tried both stone stockpiles and dumping the ice, neither of which illicits any response from the dwarves.

Is ice as a stone just immovable until it's used for something?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Working with Ice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:00:27 am »

Your dwarves should dump it, have you checked to see if hauling refuse from outside is forbidden in the orders menu? (o-r-o)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Working with Ice
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:23:43 pm »

That wasn't it; I got it to work once I'd checked the dumping zone. Thought I'd set it for a garbage dump but apparently not.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."