Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The intricacies of levers and bridges?  (Read 937 times)

SpaceKGreen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The intricacies of levers and bridges?
« on: December 14, 2010, 04:16:48 pm »

Recently started my first actual attempt at fortress mode.  Things are a bit unorganized, but I think I'm getting a general idea of what I'm doing.

Problem is...  I have a bridge I've built to help protect my fort.  I built a lever and attempted to link it.  Got the message "Not enough mechanisms."  I looked it up and found that I need at least two more mechanisms.  So I built two more mechanisms.

Now the lever won't even acknowledge the existence of the bridge.  I tell it to "Link up a Bridge" and all I get is "There is nothing to link up to."

Is there something I'm missing?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The intricacies of levers and bridges?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:29:00 pm »

First, make sure that you're hitting the right key.  If you're accidentally hitting the key for (say) floodgates or something else that you have none of, you'll get that message.  If you are sure you're pressing the button for bridge and still getting that message, it means that bridge is already linked to that lever.  You must have done it without realizing it.  Pull the lever to find out if this is the case.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »

Might the lever and bridge already be linked? If you hooked them up already, they won't show on the list anymore. Otherwise... Hm. Are any of the stones the bridge is made from forbidden? I don't recall whether or not a lever can be quened to be linked to something that there is no path to, but I'm pretty sure it can. Most likely, you just inadvertently forbid the bridge, or marked it for dumping, or something else that would stop the bridge from being a valid target.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:35:09 pm »

Otherwise... Hm. Are any of the stones the bridge is made from forbidden? I don't recall whether or not a lever can be quened to be linked to something that there is no path to, but I'm pretty sure it can.
A lever can still be queued to be linked to a forbidden or physically inaccessible target.  I've experimented with this when building various dwarfputing systems.  The link command doesn't check to see if the target is reachable or forbidden.  If it is, the job will just get suspended when a dwarf actually tries to make the linkage.  I don't know if marking the target for deconstruction makes any difference.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SpaceKGreen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42:39 pm »

Well, problem solved... lever has been assigned to link up to the bridge.

...I think I've been accidentally hitting the V key this entire time.  :(

Glad for the help, though, thanks.  Now I can block the entrance any time I need to... although I should have made it open outwards for the purposes of later siege/noble launching...  Ah well.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:51:38 pm »

Well, problem solved... lever has been assigned to link up to the bridge.

...I think I've been accidentally hitting the V key this entire time.  :(

Glad for the help, though, thanks.  Now I can block the entrance any time I need to... although I should have made it open outwards for the purposes of later siege/noble launching...  Ah well.

Inward serves the purpose of an atom smasher.